PDA

View Full Version : Bar-tailed Godwits

Tony Whitehead
12-05-2009, 03:50 AM
The Godwits have been back for about 3 months after their nonstop 11000km flight after breeding in Alaska and are starting to show a bit on condition in their belly profiles. The middle bird has almost regrown it's moulted primaries.
Captured today at Tauranga harbour
Nikon D700
Nikon 500VR+1.4x
ISO 800 1/6400 f7.1 HH
pano crop from full width frame
LR3, CS4 - sky saturation/brightness adjusted with Viveza
comments and suggestions always appreciated

Randy Stout
12-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Tony:

My 1st thought was that this was one bird with three different wing positions stitched togethor, like a clip of a film. I know they look a bit different, but thats just how it struck me.

I do like the variety of wing positions, it would make a good birders guide photo, just pull the rear bird in close to the front two.

I think the pano concept is appropriate here, might give a fraction more room in front.

Thanks for the background info. You would think there would be an easier way to have chicks!

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
12-05-2009, 09:07 AM
I find it amazing how far some godwit species migrate. I like the crop idea here and only wish for better wing positions.

denise ippolito
12-05-2009, 09:11 AM
Tony, I like the pano crop and the position of the 3 birds.The wing positions I like because you get a detailed look at the entire wing thru the series. Very nice!