Ken Watkins
12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Taken in Etosha NP, Namibia on Dik Dik Drive 6th September 2008

EOS 1D MkIIn

28-300mm at 120mm

F6.3, 1/320, ISO 400

Danny J Brown
12-04-2009, 10:58 PM
What the.............Hey, I want one of these little guys for a pet. How big is this critter? Those legs are as tiny as its eyes are huge! I love those little horns, too. Wish the angle was lower and its a hair tight up top but still a sweet shot.

Marc Mol
12-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Nice shot Ken to get these guys out in the open, would like some more room on top and less on the right.

Ken Watkins
12-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Danny
They are very small 12-16 inches according to Wikipedia.
As a result it is difficult to be anything other than looking down on them, especially when you are not allowed to get out of the car!
Marc
Incredibly you nearly always see DikDik on DikDik drive and they sometimes wander into open spaces. I have more room so will take a look.

ChasMcRae
12-04-2009, 11:26 PM
A favorite animal with large eyes and apparent crying.
Pic in typical habitat with good color and shows the eyes.,face and small horns.

Marc Mol
12-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Marc
Incredibly you nearly always see DikDik on DikDik drive and they sometimes wander into open spaces. I have more room so will take a look.

And hear I was thinking Dik Dik Drive was somewhere downtown LA.:D

Charles Glatzer
12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Ken,

While the excellent close up shows great detail, a bit more environment would benefit the image.

Best,

Chas

Steve Kaluski
12-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Hi Ken, agree with Danny about a lower POV which would have added to the overall look and more room on the l/h side, less on the right, but guess that is in an ideal world. They are graceful dwarf antelopes about the size of a fox terrier if that helps, and the black marking just below the eye is used to deposit a tarry secretion on to twigs from the pre-orbital gland (near their large eyes)

Steve

Ken Watkins
12-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Sorry there is little if any more headroom in the original, extending the canvas is difficult with the highly patterned grass.

I will post a more open picture later.

Russell Johnson
12-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Sorry there is little if any more headroom in the original, extending the canvas is difficult with the highly patterned grass.

I will post a more open picture later.

Would agree that a lower point of view would be preferable.

Still, a keeper for my collection - I don't believe I even tried to take a photo of a dik dik.

Danny J Brown
12-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Danny
They are very small 12-16 inches according to Wikipedia.
As a result it is difficult to be anything other than looking down on them, especially when you are not allowed to get out of the car!
Marc

Hey Ken - I figured if there was a way to get a better angle, you would have done it.:)

Ajit Huilgol
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Lovely image, Ken, of one of my favourite animals in Africa!