PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane

Mark Theriot
12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Flocks of these guys are making their way through this time of year!

400mm f6.3 @ 1/2000 ISO1000
Cropped down to about 60%
C&C welcome and appreciated!

Alfred Forns
12-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Mark Got a couple of suggestions !!

I know you are trying to get under wing detail but the exposure is a bit over, not much detail on the side of the head. Best way for detail is earlier in the day and getting the bird in a favorable angle.

Framing wise you need to place the bird further back in the frame with more room up front rather than centered. Wing position wise we normally like the wings all up or down. You should have lots of chances with these guys looking forward to the next one !!!

Mark Theriot
12-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Alfred,
Thanks for the comments.

I shot the image at +1/3ev. I backed the exposure slider off a little at the beginning (very little needed) but didn't check it after I made the rest of my adjustments - you're right, "blinkies" all around the side of the face and neck!!! (Note to self, always go back and check after making other adjustments.) Now, the under wing details were actually much darker - I moved the Shadow slider a bit to get it where it's at.

I was able to get the sun as close as straight behind me as possible, but you're right, it was about 10:40AM when I got that shot. Cropping - check - I know better! As for wing position, please look at the attached image - this is the highest position I have in the series.

This image is raw straight from the converter (I did crop though!). Any additional thoughts on the exposure, composition, etc??

Thanks!
Mark

Mark Theriot
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Oh, one more thing if you don't mind! My panning is a little hit and miss so far - how does the sharpness look? (Original is sharpened with Nik and the second one is straight out of Canon DPP converter)

Thanks!
Mark

Alfred Forns
12-05-2009, 12:08 PM
No mystery regarding exposure ... just need soft light early/late in the day, at other time you just can't make it !!!

With the under wings when you try lightening with shadow/highlight or curves, normally you will get a muddy look, can only do so much !!!

With some birds we actually over exposed the head intentionally in order to have shadow detail, then in PS select the head and multiply for bringing out detail. Sometimes it works but best to nail in camera with good light !!!

This one you should be able to select the head and darken some, easy PS fix !!!

btw will look for a crane in good light and post tonight !!

Gus Cobos
12-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi Mark, I like both captures, agree with Mr. Forns on the exposure and the techs. With these guys and birds in flight, you have to watch the position of the light and also shout early morning or late in the afternoon, finding the sweet light...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Mark Theriot
12-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks Gus!

Well, don't think I'll be getting many more opportunities this year. Went back out this morning and all the ponds are frozen over with not a crane, duck or goose in site! And to think I grew up in southern Louisiana and never took advantage of it!! I wish I lived there now!

Mark

WIlliam Maroldo
12-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Nice image. Although already mentioned, I thought I'd comment of the light situation. When Alfred says soft light I might add that this means low contrast light, filtered by clouds, mist, fog, anything that diffuses the light. Direct sunlight, and it doesn't matter what time of day, causes extremes in exposure; both the whites can be blown and the shadows dark and lacking detail in the same image. You get the whites exposed correctly, and the darks suffer, and vice versa. This is the exact reason why HDR is used, and if a bird was completely stationary you could use the technique as well, but they aren't.
The shooting under soft light, or low contrast conditions, allows you to get both light and dark parts of your subject exposed correctly. What this boils down to is those bright sunny days that most people think are the best for photography, aren't if birds are your subject, and it might be better to go to a movie! regards~Bill

Mark Theriot
12-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks Bill,

I'm still working to understand the basics of light and the impact. Gradually getting a feel identifying "harsh" and "soft" light.

Mark