PDA

View Full Version : Away From Home

Dan Busby
12-04-2009, 08:09 PM
I have really enjoyed viewing the countless stunning images on BPN and have decided to jump in and make my first post.

Perhaps more interesting than anything you can see in this image is WHERE it was taken. This Phainopepla made an early November appearance in Brampton, Ontario, Canada, literally thousands of km from its home base, and has remained a regular prime time show for hundreds of interested bird watchers up to the present day. This photo was taken hand-held, standing on my tiptoes with lens pressed up against a 4" opening in a lattice fence. Some harsh straight fence lines in the background were softened in Ps and the image was cropped about 10%.

Canon 40D
Canon EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6L
400 mm, f6.4, 1/395, AP
ISO 400
Hand held

Danny J Brown
12-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey Dan - Welcome to BPN and thanks for posting a stunning little creature that I've never seen. The red eye on black feathers is striking and captured well. That dark little beak is nice and sharp too. Finally, I like your composition choice as well. The bokeh is nice with some mixed colors but I'm finding it just a tad noisy - usually not a problem on the 40D at 400 if you overexpose a little. Also, there are some elements in the background that will be distracting to some but that stuff doesn't bother me. Overall, given the conditions you described, a dandy image!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Welcome to BPN, Dan and I am glad you posted this beautiful bird. I like the sharpness, eye contact and raised crest and would try to get more details in the blacks around the eye. If it were mine, I might tone down the bright spot behind the head and run NR on the BG. Keep them coming!

James Littlejohn
12-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Beautiful sharp photo. Love the feather detail and eye colour. The background may be a little uneven but the pull of the bird is strong - so no big deal.

I can't believe this was in Brampton in November! (I live in Aurora). If this was shot by a Canadian, I'd figure they must be on vacation :) Hope he's not too lost. I saw a heron a couple weeks ago - I thought that was pretty late for them up here, too.

Steve Canuel
12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Nice detail and subtle colors. I like his little handle perch.

Dan Busby
12-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone - I was expecting some regarding the BG. I was undecided on how far to intrude on softening BG details but agree that more could be done to remove some distracting elements - especially behind the head. I didn't do any noise reduction but now see that it would help.

kenn threed
12-04-2009, 10:20 PM
Welcome Dan,

I'd agree with nearly all the comments already made... I think you might still improve it, but wow what a stunning bird and image (love that colorful perch too!).

Thanks for posting this beauty, ... a great beginning, show us more. :)

Kenn

Graham Smith.
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
So this is the famous Phainopepla that's been filling the online bulletins?! Thanks for posting Dan.
Very nice capture. As mentioned, a little NR would be a big help here.
Could you ask him nicely to stay around a couple more weeks (when I'll be in the neighborhood)?

Paul Lagasi
12-05-2009, 05:17 PM
So this is the famous Mr. P, Graham and I have the same idea...hope he stays for a while yet. Dan I see you got around to posting, how've you been? Heard from John?
Red eye, very sharp..lovely pose...I didn't really notice the NR...but I never do..lolol...all I see is the bird..
Keep them coming..

Ted Busby
12-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Beautifully sharp; crisp image.

Nathan Beaulne
12-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Great capture, love the composition and BG. I hope to check this guy out soon as he doesn't seem in any rush to leave :)

Raymond Barlow
12-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Wonderful image of this very sought after creature., the best I have seen of this bird, well done.

John Chardine
12-18-2009, 07:51 AM
I'm jumping in late here buddy to say it's about time we saw some of your great bird photographs here!!!

I love this one and although not a bird-watcher per se, would have driven a few km to see this one! The light, BG perch, and head angle are great as is the sharpness. I agree a little toning down of the bright spots would work (I would quickmask out top of head and use a soft clone brush with a low flow to gently do it). Now the request is simple- more, more, more.