PDA

View Full Version : Dark-eyed Junco

Dan Brown
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
Captured in our backyard today, through an open window. PP'ed in ACR and CS3, Cropped about 20% from left, cloned a bit of the upper BG to breakup the straight lines in the fence boards, NR in BG with Noise Ninja, selectively sharpened with USM. I need to remove the dead leaves from the perch tree I see:(! C&C welcome.

Camera Model: NIKON D300, monopod mounted
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Aperture: 8
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Optional,TTL -2.0
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 800
Lens: VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D
Focal length: 400mm
Focal length: 600mm (in 35mm film)
VR Image Stabilization: On
AF mode: AF-C

Axel Hildebrandt
12-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Angle, pose and BG look good. I might increase contrast and sharpen a tad more. I think it would be even stronger with one branch and if the little twigs were not there.

Danny J Brown
12-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey Danny - I love Juncos, or Junkies as we call them due to their love of sunflower seeds. You caught it with some cool bokeh and a nice little perch. I'm not a head angler but I think you got it perfect on this one. Note: This one ain't quite popping like it should. Better follow Axel's advice and try the S curve or something. Thanks my friend.

Dan Brown
12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys for the comments! In the repost, I applied a curves layer with a below the line curve and then sharpened a little more using Nik Sharpener Pro to the jpg. Better?

Steve Canuel
12-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Repost looks better. I like the two BG leaves but might remove the other twigs.

Danny J Brown
12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks guys for the comments! In the repost, I applied a curves layer with a below the line curve and then sharpened a little more using Nik Sharpener Pro to the jpg. Better?

Aahhhh - much better, Dan.

denise ippolito
12-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Dan, Very nice repost.Nice sharp details. I would remove the top branch w/ the leaves and the twig merging w/ the tail. BG colors are pleasing. A fine image.

gary rouleau
12-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Dan, the repost is much better. The bird is well done. I'm not a tree hugger (in this respect) so I'd remove the little branch and the leafs as Denise suggests.
When you coming to visit?
gary

Paul Lagasi
12-05-2009, 07:15 PM
Dan a very nice junco photo....would love one like it, in my collection..head is tack sharp, nice details, good job on PP, 2nd image is more pleasing to my eye, agree about removing some of the branches...