PDA

View Full Version : Backlit thistle bud

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9288561-lg.jpg

BG is a field in shade. Taken at sunset.

40D. 300 f/4 non-IS and 1.4x. iso 640. 1/500. f/8. exp. comp. -1 1/3. contrast adjustment during raw conversion.

All opinions welcome.

Julie Kenward
12-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I like what you're going for here, KD, but it's a bit too static for my personal taste. I'd consider moving the camera so the stem came in at an angle or trimming quite a bit off both sides to eliminate some of the negative space. For me, there's just too much black compared to plant.

I do like the backlighting, though. Good job on exposure compensation and nice details. You have one small spot on the right side of the thistle head that looks like it might be blown - might try to recapture a little of the detail in camera raw processing.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Julie, first and foremost, thx. I'll look into the blown highlights. Are you suggesting that I crop further(vertical pano or crop the step) or rotate CCW a bit and then crop/not crop( diagonal placement)? I can see multiple options of reducing the blacks. Thx in advance.

I liked the stem and leaves as much as the bud...hence, this composition. And I thought the lot-of-black gave it a kinda minimalist treatment.

Lot to learn for me here. So your help very much appreciated.

Anita Bower
12-04-2009, 08:48 PM
The backlighting is lovely! Good job. I agree that the stems and leaves are as interesting as the bud. You might want to experiment with the crop, as you suggested in your reply, and see what you like.

Mike Fuhr
12-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Really like the backlighting and detail. Jules idea of angling the stem a bit more might be accomplished just by rotating the image a bit. Very nice image.

Ramesh Adkoli
12-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Kaustubh, a very nice effort in capturing the backlit image. I agree with Julie's observation on negative space here. IMHO, the black BG does not go with the images captured in natural settings. It gives the feel of a studio setup. A tinge of green or any prevalent hue of nature gives a better feel. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Jerry van Dijk
12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Hi Kaustubh, nothing to add to the advice already given. Nice job on exposing the backlit subject.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Ramesh, I see what you are saying and agree as well. This one had no green in the BG. I haven't done any PP on it. With dry air and a low but bright sun( conditions unusual in tropics but common here) directly lighting the flower from behind, black is what you get if the BG is in shade :-) I have one backlit flower that has green sunlit BG that I will post some time this week.

Mike Moats
12-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey Kaustubh, great backlighting, BG looks fine to me, I would crop left and right, to much negative space.

Ed Cordes
12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I like the graphic quality. Crop suggestions are good. I might also add a bit more sharpening to the top of the thistle.