PDA

View Full Version : Oyster Bay

Connie Mier
12-04-2009, 03:33 PM
The extent of my landscape shots are mostly taken while paddling in the Everglades. I'm hoping to receive some critiques on my waterscape shots. My intention is to illustrate the Everglades as seen from a canoe. We were being chased by these storm clouds, I turned the boat around to capture them. Critiques are welcomed.
Connie

Sony a100, 18-70mm, @18mm
f9, ISO200, 1/320
Evaluative metering, -2/3 stop, no lens filter
PP: in Lightroom, I used the graduate filter to darken the clouds and selectively lightened the mangroves

Lance Warley
12-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Getting a sharp shot from any water vehicle is challenging, and you've certainly done that, Connie.

I love that the rope is in sharp focus. I also love the colored letters on the paddle.

My only suggestion is to crop out the top half of the sky. I tried it by moving the slider in my browser, and it makes everything look much more dramatic. It also seems to create a more interesting perspective from a canoe's-eye-view of the world.

Connie Mier
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Lance, thanks for the feedback, I think you are right about the crop. Here's one try:

Roman Kurywczak
12-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Hi Connie,
Probably tough...but try putting the kayak on more of a diagonal and perhaps minimize the space between the boat and the land mass...just thoughts that may give more impact. Nice thought and well exposed.

Robert Amoruso
12-04-2009, 11:29 PM
Good suggestions by Lance and Roman, but you do have a classic image from a kayak here made better by the sky.

Dave Mills
12-05-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi Connie, I like the kayak in the foreground which is pointing the way. Minimalizing the sky in the repost works for me also. Interesting concept!