PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret in flight

Bill Dix
12-04-2009, 10:51 AM
D90; 80-400 VR @110mm; ISO 400, f/8.0 @ 1/2000 s; Matrix metering @ -1.3 EV; AF-A; Aperture priority; HH.

Sanibel, last week. (Thanks, Alfred, for suggesting the Fishing Pier.) I spent some time walking the beach and boardwalk at dawn, so the sun had been up for two hours by the time I got to the pier. Sun and wind angles not in sync so most of the shots have him flying into the wind, away from me - this one has the best HA but not the best wing position. Wish the left wing cleared the head. I was trying so hard to keep from burning the whites in PP that this looks a bit dingy to me -- whites are at 240 or less as posted -- but maybe he's just a bit dirty. Any suggestions? C&C appreciated.

Alfred Forns
12-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Bill Whites do look a bit strange You do need very soft light for any chance and exposure wise going to manual is the best way. bg will be changing but the bird remains in the same light !!

Afternoon is also very good at the pier, can also walk down the beach, lots of birds around the corner, go away from the lighthouse

Bill Dix
12-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks Alfred. The beach around the corner was barren that morning, but it was very windy. Then I spent some time looking in the woods for pileated wps to no avail before going to the pier. I'll know better if and when I get there again.

wendell westfall
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Bill, I like the image as is. It is good to see the wings in a "different" position, and the head and feet are nice and sharp on my monitor. If I had one suggestion for a different look it would be to add a bit of canvas on all sides (that's nitpickin').

Gus Cobos
12-04-2009, 07:15 PM
HI Bill,
I like the capture angle and the wing position. The details in the wings and feathers are good, the whites do look a tad on the dab side, you can adjust the color point to bring up the hue a little. I like the quality of the water and the eye looks great...looking forward to your next one...:cool: