PDA

View Full Version : Bar-shouldered Dove (Geopelia humeralis) Kununurra WA

Rod Warnock
12-04-2009, 01:39 AM
Bar-shouldered Dove (Geopelia humeralis) Kununurra WA
Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 330 mm ISO 400 F5.6 1/1250 fill flash 13 September 2009

On the first day in Kununurra a series of images of a variety of birds near or drinking water a couple of hours which proved to be profitable. Amazing this game you can organise and prepare and plan all to no end then occasionally things fall into place with little help from you! !! Sound familiar ??..I'll et it does. Certainly ou do have to have your gear ready to go and that is a given.
This image is one of a series of Bar-shouldered Doves that I took while waiting for our daughter to fly in to Kununurra WA for 5 days with us. The other species in this time span were Straw-necked Ibis, Peaceful Doves and Rufous-throated Honeyeaters. For added data on this species visit Birds in Backyards: http://birdsinbackyards.net/bird/358 which also gives a distribution map.

Hope you enjoy the image
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Daniel Cadieux
12-04-2009, 05:50 AM
Nice drinking behaviour! Shows perfectly how doves use their bills as a straw. Looks like you had harsh light to deal with, and I'm finding some of the debris distracting (especially the light one touching the top of the head)

Rob Drummond
12-04-2009, 06:24 AM
Nice detail and reflection Rod - got to love those waterholes in the tropics

cheers
Rob

Betsie Storm
12-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Excellent feather detail, like the full reflection shown. Thanks for sharing all the info, too.

Judy Lynn Malloch
12-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Hi Rod

This is a first for me as I have not seen this species before. Excellent detail and I like the behavior you captured. Wonderful behavioral image. thanks for sharing.

Rod Warnock
12-05-2009, 01:34 AM
Thank you all for your kind comments. I add the extra comments so that visitors to Australia might be able to select areas that will lift their visits more quickly into producive outputs.
Best regards
Rod