PDA

View Full Version : The Watcher

Bob Decker
12-03-2009, 09:59 PM
I had the unusual but pleasant rarity of being free about 1 1/2 hours before sunset. I knew if I ran over to Fort Macon State Park at Atlantic Beach, NC, on the point at Bogue Inlet, I could have the sun behind my back and would have a fair chance at finding a few shore birds. My assumptions were all correct. There's something about this image I find appealing. Maybe it's the haze of blowing sand obsuring the bird's feet, his gaze or...? Anyway I thought I'd toss it out there.

I beleive it's a Greater Black-backed Gull, though the black on his beak doesn't match anything in my ID books. 40D, Bigma @ 500mm, iso 400, f8.0, ev +67, matrix metering, AV mode, 1/800... carbon fiber tripod w/ ballhead. RAW conversion via ACR, post includes a curves adjustment to the entire image, sharpening on the bird, noise reduction on the BG.

Gus Cobos
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Bob,
I like the low capture. The head angle is a tad off, lets just say that Mr. Gull was looking at something that caught his attention in his natural habitat. I would suggest give him more space to the left side of the frame for the tail, and cropping 1/4 from the top; also a tad more sharpening in the eye. Looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
12-04-2009, 12:12 AM
I like the shot, notice the bright light on the head. This can happen at the beach due to light reflection off light & sand, looks a tad hot on the chest area - if so you know the Ed forum has plenty of info and APB, APBII and Digital Basics handles the cures nicely. Maybe light was a bit sideways and harsh, I purchase a cheap light meter and read it from time to time. Mixed light on the bird will play with the meter as well.

How does histogram look, it is clipped on right? This is a difficult image IMO, you must break it down into two subjects, FG & BG. The FG is light tone and the BG is probably neutral in tonality. Given middle/light on light the +.67 might be right. With the possible tonality ranges you might want to bracket this type of shot next time with .75 steps and/or try spot metering. Taking reading off the sand and adjust as needed.

You said something that was real important, stating you liked the picture. I find that very important, if the photographer does not know his/her own work then, well let's just say its hard. I find it appealing as well, it gives the sense he is thinking and the world is alive behind him. Kinda the duality of life concept, all captured with the disapline of the frame - well done.

Bob Decker
12-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Many thanks again, Jeff, for you input. I was more interested in the sanderlings and happened to catch this guy when I was changing position. I've lived here over a decade, with about six of those years at the beach. You kind of come to ignore sea gulls after a while. ;) For some reason this one caught my eye. You're correct that the sun angle was a bit off on this with the chest area being a little hot. I took two frames of this bird and might've tried some bracketing but a beach walker flew him right after this shot. (Sometimes if feels like they purposely head towards the animal you're trying to photograph!). In the other shot the head angle is better, but becuase of the sun angle his beak throws a shadow across his face.

You got me to go back and look at the histogram... slightly to the right. Any more and all the highlghts would've been blown. Hindsight being 20/20 an all, I'm thinking I should've dialed down the expsoure in ACR around -.10 to -.20 applied a tad less recovery, and shifted temperature a bit warmer.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-04-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a good plan. I will offer up one more piece of advise to you my friend. Last year, Al taught me to warm up images a tad, I tended to overdo them and often created a color cast on the entire picture. I have read that Artie often shoots WB "as is". Learn from my mistakes and be careful not to warm them too much. Looking forward to more from you, I enjoy seeing your work.

Alfred Forns
12-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Hi Bob

First is good to go to basics ... exposure !! I'm sure the histogram has blown highlights, do remember to check out, might block shadows but is the best alternative, make sure there are no pixels going up the right side.

Metering wise I don't recommend a separate light meter, the camera will do just fine if used properly. You don't need an external meter to get the whites properly exposed.

Image wise I think there are too many light areas from the braking waves up top, would crop some of them. While doing birds against the waves do take many since the water is constantly changing and you will find some that look better than others.

Regarding the feet is always good to have them in the picture but not always possible, could go and look for another bird or wait for this one to move !! ...btw light wise remember to get on sun angle, the rear of the bird is in shadows !!!

Katie Rupp
12-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi Bob, I like the blowing sand and would crop some off the top to just above that wave closest to the gull and wish that the whites had a little more detail, that said, I agree that it has something about it which intriques.

Bob Decker
12-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks Jeff, Alfred, Katie. A little rework based on your suggestions and comments. Went back to the RAW file and lowered the exposure setting a touch, adjusted recovery accordingly, warmed it up a tad and cropped it per Katie's suggestion. In PS I did sharpening on the bird, noise reduction to the BG as before, but this time I did touch of dodging (10%) on the shadow on his back and head.

Katie Rupp
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Lots more detail in the whites and a sharper eye, way to go, Bob.

Declan Troy
12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey Bob,

Your ID is right on. This is a Great Black-backed Gull. These guys take about 4 years to get to "adult plumage" and this one i a bout 3/4 there. Some guides, like Sibley, show intermediate plumages but not all do. But you can probably see that the juvenile birds have all dark bills and adults have mostly yellow bills so there will be intermediate stages. This just happens to be very protracted in gulls. You will also see other hints of subadult status in this bird, in particular all the bits of brown mixed in the black, especially on the wings.