PDA

View Full Version : Frosted Oak Leaf 2

Christopher Miller
12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
Here's another of my frosted leaf images for your inspection. This one I decided to keep in color rather than converting to B&W since the leaf was such a nice red-orange color. Any comments and suggestions will be most welcome!

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f5.6 @ 1/15, ISO 100, -0.7 EV
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS2; cropped, curves adjustment, slight saturation boost, some burning on the grass, and added a light vignette

Jerry van Dijk
12-04-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi Christopher, this was exactly what I had in mind when I commented on one of your BW images that I thought it would like nice in color as well! Color combination is great, composition with the leaf on the diagonal is nice (but maybe more powerful as a horizontal?), and the ice adds interest. I do think the leaf is a little tight in the frame, but on the other hand, it draws all the attention to itself this way.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Liked it a lot. awesome sharpness. Loved the comp.

Julie Kenward
12-04-2009, 05:10 PM
I, too like this one very much - even with the grass BG. I think the frost helps unite all those strands of grass and you see frost more than you see blades.

Lovely sharpness to this one, Chris. Everything feels very natural and your eye instantly goes to the frost surrounding the leaf. I do think a little more room around all four edges couldn't hurt but this isn't a bad crop by any means - just a little tiny bit tight.

Anita Bower
12-04-2009, 08:53 PM
I think it is difficult to get a good image of a leaf in grass as I find the blades of grass distracting and there are always some brown ones. The colors here are lovely, and the frost on the edges of the leaf just great.

Christopher Miller
12-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks everyone. Agree on the image being a bit tight, I'll add a tiny bit more room to it. Anita, I agree that grass is usually not the best BG; however, I do find that frost can help make grass a more interesting BG like here. I'm hoping to photograph some frosted leaves on BGs other than grass, but haven't had a chance yet.
As always, I appreciate everyone's input!

Charles Wesley
12-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Christopher,

This is a very solid image. I too like the color and sharpness.
Thanks for sharing...

Christopher Miller
12-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Charles!