PDA

View Full Version : Bud-ing beauty

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/9561152-lg.jpg

I hang out in the Avian forum more than here. I think this is my first post here. I dont do a whole lot of macro actually....wud love to though.

40D. 85 f/1.8 with extension tubes at f/4. 1/500.

All opinions welcome.

Jerry van Dijk
12-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Hi Kaustubh, wonderful colors, great DOF and details and good angle on this starting flower. I do feel that the bud is a little bit lost in all the OOF surroundings. See how you like this crop, using the rule of thirds. Sorry for cutting through your name :o.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
Jerry...thx for the encouraging comments. I like your version too....but I am a big fan of good bokeh and hence left that much of it in the original post. The OOF BG is that of the same flower.

Danny J Brown
12-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey KD - This image is definitely about color on both the subject and the bokeh - very easy on the eyes. Composition-wise, I would like to see something between the OP an the RP. You'll have fun, and learn a lot, in this gallery if you continue to keep an open mind. Take care.

Arthur Morris
12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I love the bud and the BKGR but the subject is too centered. I went the opposite way....

Jerry van Dijk
12-04-2009, 10:32 AM
So many ways to go to get that bud out of the center! I agree that those BG colors are wonderful. Arthur did a great job in salvaging them and improve the composition.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Thx Artie, Jerry and Danny. I agree that the bud is too centered in the OP. I am guilty of not spending enough time with macro photography and also on post-processing of the few macro images that I have. Somewhat of a step-child treatment. Thx again.

Julie Kenward
12-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Welcome to macro and flora forum, KD. I actually liked all the different version but I think Arthur's is the best - you get all the great bokeh but the flower is still in a great position to command the viewer's attention. You did a lovely job on DOF here and the lighting/colors are really extraordinary. You can come and play in our sandbox anytime...

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Julie...believe me, I would love to do more Macro and play here.

Danny J Brown
12-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Just checking back in to see how this one turned out. Artie's repost took your shot to the next level, KD. Good teamwork!

Anita Bower
12-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Very nice. Lovely colors. I like the selective focus, the blurred BG, the diagonal angle of the leaves. I prefer Jerry's crop, but Arthur's is also nice. You did a great job here.

Charles Wesley
12-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Kaustubh,

What a wonderful use of selective focus on this flower bud. Really enjoyed the reposted versions.
Keep 'em coming...