PDA

View Full Version : Red Squirrel

Steve Kaluski
12-03-2009, 12:17 PM
This will probably not excite many people I fear, but I thought perhaps a slight change of direction in what to post might be worth a punt:eek:

These little fellows are by far my favourite type of squirrel, especially their ear tuffs which become very prominent in Winter. Taken high up in the Cairngorns, Scotland.

Steve

MKIII 500 f/4 1/200 f/4 ISO 400

Danny J Brown
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Hey Steve - We all love the lions, tigers and bears but many of us relish captures of little critters like this just as much. We don't have these guys in Missouri but I've always found them to be an amazing subject. Really beautiful color here and a great little expression on its face. I too love those tufted ears. You might try cutting out a little of the foreground blur and I'm just wondering why so much room on top? I assume you are going for a certain feel but its sure a long way up there. Beautiful image.

Steve Kaluski
12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Danny, thanks for all the kind words and it's great to be able to share, and 'showcase' the natural world we all see.

Perhaps I should have cropped more before posting on here, but the space is meant for editorial use ie headlines or text when the image is used, something I need to think about. Hope that explains the rational :-)

Steve

Danny J Brown
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Hi Danny, thanks for all the kind words and it's great to be able to share, and 'showcase' the natural world we all see.

Perhaps I should have cropped more before posting on here, but the space is meant for editorial use ie headlines or text when the image is used, something I need to think about. Hope that explains the rational :-)

Steve

Totally understand. Thanks.

Steve Kaluski
12-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Based on Dannys comment, does the 'Team think' I should re crop before posting? Just a thought.

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
hey Steve

I love this one! love the space all around, the sharpness and pose of the squirrel and the DOF. leave it as is I say...

ChasMcRae
12-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Yes I would crop and focus on the squirrel,which is a beautiful image(great white and red-rust) with great light and background. The lichen around the squirrel is great ,but too me too much out of focus in foreground and the prominence of this can be decreased by cropping.

Harshad Barve
12-03-2009, 10:21 PM
This is so sweet , lovely image and I personally love to share different species , ( Though I am biased and Tiger Fanantic :D)
Ok , If this is mine , I will not crop single pixel , as details on this cuttie look very good here and space above looks good and shows tiny size of Squirrel
TFS

Betsie Storm
12-04-2009, 04:32 AM
I like the small guys, too, Steve, and normally try to get some good pictures of them while the crowds are chasing the big 5:). Love his pose, the light on him and the fur detail. Checked my files for a good one of his Kalahari cousins, sadly nothing worthwhile in digital format. Keep posting the little guys!