PDA

View Full Version : Bonaparte's Gull

wendell westfall
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@400 1/640 f/5.6 ISO500 -1EV handheld

I was out early again this morning, but had no luck. So, I'm posting this image I took the day before. I think it is a beautiful gull, but I needed help with its ID (Bonaparte Gull in winter plumage). And we see lots of gulls here, too. I left the image uncropped, ran NR and USM, with some minor tweaks. The feathers are not well defined, but I think they must be naturally smooth. I'd be particularly interested in your observations on that aspect of the image. Thanks . . .

Wendell

Jeff Cashdollar
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
I like it, maybe hit the sharpening one more time. The reflection can be an advantage or disadvantage. But as the photographer, its your call. Not sure if it can be toned down in the head area - let's see what other say -overall well done.

Exposure techs look solid, nice HA and eye.

Katie Rupp
12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Wendell, I can't help with the ID, gulls and sandpipers are all a jumble for me at this stage. I think I would like it better without the full reflection and the smoothness (lack of feather detail) startled me but I love the colors, especially that turquoise water.

Alfred Forns
12-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Hi Wendell This is a tough call regarding the reflection, agree it is not strong and best to clone out but once you do it looks odd !!

One of the cases it would have been good to persevere and go for a reflection, just keep working the bird ... big bonus is that besides nailing a good reflection you might catch him taking off !!!