PDA

View Full Version : Marbled-Godwit

Katie Rupp
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
This was taken before sunrise and I was practicing flash technique---the raw file looks underexposed and I see a bit of telltale noise/muddied colors and I'm wondering if the breast color is too saturated? But I like it!
C&C encouraged and greatly appreciated.

Canon 40D; f5.6, 1/500; Av, Eval+2; ISO 800; E-TTL -1; 500f4 with 1.4x; on tripod

Dan Brown
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Very nice Katie! You are really nailing the "high key" stuff! The color on the bird is a bit saturated but these guys can really look that way! I can't see much noise on my laptop but if it's there you can surely fix it!

Bill Dix
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Katie: Great pose and fantastically low angle. What kind of shovel did you use? I love it. I don't see much noise, and the sat doesn't bother me. Well done.

Gus Cobos
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Lady Katie,
I like the composition, image and ultra low capture...the high-key put this fellow over the top...I like the up close and in your face pose...good show...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Katie

Excellent feel to this one, colors are not bad at all could desaturate just a tad. Flash wise remember to fire a burst and you will have choices ... full flash, somewhat less and zero ... capacitor doesn't have time to charge. Best way to learn how much to use !!

Noise wise there is lot on the mud, shows in the dark areas, look at all the little colored dots.... easy to remove !! .. btw tech wise love your settings !!! One fine image !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
12-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Katie,

You know me, do not like ISO 800 on the 40D (too high) IMO anyway.

Settings look good Eval +2 to compensate for bright BG. Not sure the subject distance and looks like you did not use BB. With the tripod, I might have dropped the ISO to 400, and tried to keep like or same shutter speed best I could and used -3 FEV on the ETTL,..love the picture. maybe a tad sharp or hot,..well done. I love the technical planning, makes me want to get out tomorrow and play. I love flash, have you played much with manual settings?

Katie Rupp
12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you all, for your comments, I appreciate the feedback.

Jeff: I have been using ISO 800 pretty freely and lately I'm starting to rethink and adjust lower. Exposure is so challenging and just when I think "I've got it!" I realize I'm not there yet. I did use a BB and was strickly manual at the Bosque for the workshop and that gave me a bit more exposure knowlege.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-03-2009, 02:45 PM
Great, when using manual flash I often use the measuring ring on the speed light but sometimes can use % of power approach as well.

Was it Arties workshop?

Katie Rupp
12-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Jeff: I appreciate the advice, perspective and help from fellow BPNers so feel free to continue your feedback and the workshop was with Jim Neiger...handholding BIF and I thought it was very helpful.