PDA

View Full Version : Snow Storm

Arthur Morris
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
It snowed hard for a few minutes just before dawn on Sunday 30 NOV. Most photographers never left the motel. This image was created with the Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 stops: 1/50 sec. at f/6.3 in Tv Mode.

To see the amazingly unimpressive image that came out of the camera, see today's blog post here: www.BIRDSASART-Blog.com (http://www.BIRDSASART-Blog.com)

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps: a very few geese parts along the frame edges were removed. I left most of them.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Artie...one heck on an image. As they say...luck favors the well-prepared. I could not have guessed this was before dawn. You exposed it perfectly....as you always do. Looking forward to seeing more.

Jia Liu
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Artie, were you and Robert the only photographers out there? It's amazing that you are still out in the field every early morning after being there for 16 years. This is great image as always, yes, it would be perfect if geese were flighting towards you. I never thought about using Tv mode for pan blurs, maybe I should read your ABP II one more time.
PS: I was shooting at the cranes pools next to you for a few times last week, though I didn't talk to you directly, but always appreciate to watch you at work, still remember you shout "watch out, another geese fly in..." :)

Manos Papadomanolakis
12-02-2009, 12:33 PM
looks like painting...beautiful soft colors,composition,timing!

ChasMcRae
12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Into the future -30 Dec.- I am assuming the pic was made in previous years.
Love any pic with snow in it since I almost never see it.
Your blurred images always have a surrealistic look that creates a different look from a lot of other typical images.

Arthur Morris
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Into the future -30 Dec.- I am assuming the pic was made in previous years.
Love any pic with snow in it since I almost never see it.
Your blurred images always have a surrealistic look that creates a different look from a lot of other typical images.

Let's make that 30 NOV. Just got home at 9pm after waking in ABQ at 4am. Yikes!

Jamie Douglas
12-03-2009, 12:28 AM
A fine example as to why folk shouldnt be too quick to delete photos in camera. I have a few similar examples that I only discovered when I got home and ran them through PS but it was a valuable lesson to be learned. The image really captues the moment and all I need to do now is sit beside the open freezer and view the photo.

It must have been a great experience hearing them taking off together with the wind and snow.

Kiran Poonacha
12-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Loved the new paintings you have presented guru.. lovely feel here.. congrats..

RakeshDhareshwar
12-03-2009, 09:40 PM
This looks like a painting, Artie . A whole new perspective with slow shutters . Personally , I would have cropped off the empty space on the top and made it a pano .

Arthur Morris
12-04-2009, 06:46 AM
This looks like a painting, Artie . A whole new perspective with slow shutters . Personally , I would have cropped off the empty space on the top and made it a pano .

Thanks all for your comments.

Rakesh; there is not much to crop from the top....