PDA

View Full Version : Wild Turkey - hen

Gail Spitler
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
'Tis the season for these birds... Not really, these birds are wild around here and actually feeder birds.
I know you'll see the grass on her beak. Right now that's beyond my PP skills to remedy.
Comments and suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers
Gail
Canon 7D with 500mm + 1.4x, 1/640 sec at f/5.6, eval metering, 0 comp, central spot focus, ISO 400

William Malacarne
12-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Gail

Great shot....nice detail and very good background.

Bill

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Very nice portrait, you definitely have the eye in focus here, love the sharpness, the details and the color. I might crop a little off the top, run a round of NR on the background and tone down the beak a bit. I don't mind about the grass that much, it tells me a story.

Katie Rupp
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
That's quite a look you're getting and I wouldn't even think about removing the grasses; to me it gives the image that little something different. Good detail, HA, and agree that a bit of NR would improve it.

wendell westfall
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I like it Gail, but I would remove the grass. It should be easy (even for me); one way is simply to use the clone stamp repeatedly, in VERY small steps.

kostas nianiopoulos
12-02-2009, 01:19 PM
verry nice image Gail , i wish it was mine ... well done ..

Gus Cobos
12-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Hi Gail,
A lovely portrait indeed, I like the close up pose with the crystal clear eye...the background showcases your subject quite well, making him pop out...well done...looking forward to more...:cool:

Alfred Forns
12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
I like it a lot Gail Sharp and lovely bg !! Agree on bg noise, what I usually do is run a soft brush on a layer, seems to smooth things out !!

Would remove the extra catchlight and grass wise does not bother me, might not be that easy removing !! .. fine looking bird !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
12-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I like this one, well done and very original. Nice detail for the 1.4 TC, what type of NR are you running. I use Tpoaz on entire image often with no loss to IQ. NIK has a new NR tool that allows you to apply based on colors and/or hand placed markers for those who do not want to fiddle with PS layers and such. The are offered as stand alone point applications or PS plus-ins and offer 15 day trial versions.

Gail - nice work!

Mirenchu Fernandez
12-03-2009, 06:38 AM
Excellent image!

Gail Spitler
12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone - really helpful. I appreciate the observation of the noise in the bg, I am still sorting out how much is present with the 7D under various conditions and deciding how I want to deal with it in my workflow.
Thanks again
Cheers
Gail