PDA

View Full Version : Rushing River and Reflections

Barbara Kile
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Nikon D300, F/11, 0.4 sec. Tripod mounted 80-200 f/2.8 Nikkor.
I captured water images this day at f/11, f/16, and f/22. Across the board I preferred what f/11 produced in the way of shutter speed. I love the detail and streaks of color rendered at this shutter speed. There wasn't much red foliage to be had, but the yellows were intense and the sky reflections were awesome.

Roman Kurywczak
12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Barbara,
The colors look excellent as does the flow of the water. I do like the diagonal flow of the image but the base seems a bit much. I did explore possible crops but then I debated a few other possible solutions. As presented it does appear either over sharpened or a filter was applied? I don't think it is over sat.....so my bet is over sharpened. I feel pulling back on that some and trying to pull out a bit more detail in the lower water will improve the overall presentation and not require a crop or other adjustment. All in all nicely composed.

Dave Mills
12-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Hi Barbara, As Roman stated the reflected water and flow look very good. I also tend to agree it might be a bit oversharpened. I cropped the image to give you another idea since I felt the two swirl areas were keeping the eye from resting so I concentrated on the strongest area.

Ed Vatza
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Barbara, what I see here is a landscape pushed toward "out-of-the-box" and personally I like it. For a straight landscape image, it may appear oversharpened but to eye, I am seeing something more abstracty, more artsy, a bit more surreal. And I like it! Just my two cents.

Barbara Kile
12-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Thank you all for the constructive comments. It's nice to see your images through more sets of eyes!

I guess the sharpening could be a tad on the heavy side, but the reason I chose this shutter speed was to emphasize the streaks of color. One doesn't often know how much sharpening to apply to a web upload, as quality diminishes on some sites.

Robert Amoruso
12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Barbara,

I am of the same mind as Ed. I many times oversharpen my bird in flight intentional blurs because I like the affect. So similarly here I like how the sharpening increases the graphic look of the image. I am good with the crop presented as well. Nicely done and I love that yellow color.

Connie Mier
12-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Barbara, I really like it and I think Dave's repost improves as it places the greatest emphasis on the fg colors and shapes. Beautifully seen!