PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best way to go?

Roy Priest
12-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Hello all, should I join NAPP or Kelby's online training? What are the benefits of both and the cons?

Jeff Donald
12-02-2009, 06:32 AM
It really depends on what you're needing. The online training is just that, training. Occasionally you'll get discount offers about his other services, products etc. If you need to learn a specific piece of software or tool, the online courses are your answer.

NAPP is a trade association. You get discounts on a number of services and products (group discount). I had a friend join just to save about $400 when he bought a new Mac laptop. They offer a phone help desk where you can ask questions about Photoshop, Lightroom etc. The semi-annual convention (one west coast, one east coast) is a great 3 or 4 day learning experience with great instructors and leaders, such as Moose Peterson, Joe McNally, Rick Sammon and many more. What type of learning experience are you looking for?

Art Peslak
12-02-2009, 07:03 AM
I belong to Napp and i find the monthly magazine useful for various tips and techniques for photoshop and lightroom. As a Napp member, I believe you get a discount on the Kelby training online videos. As Jeff said, you get discounts with Napp. I saved about several hundred dollars when I bought recently bought a Mac laptop as well.

Roy Priest
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Art and Jeff, I never realized that the discounts were so deep but I wonder if they apply to Canada. I am in the process of buying a macbook pro so if I could get a discount that may be the way to go.
I just would like to know more about photoshop and would like to find more video tutorials.

Art Peslak
12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Roy,
As a Napp member, you will have access to a large number of video tips and tutorials on the Napp website as well.

Roy Priest
12-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Roy,
As a Napp member, you will have access to a large number of video tips and tutorials on the Napp website as well.

Thanks Art, just checked with apple canada and they don't recognize NAPP membership.

Jeff Donald
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
You have to order through the NAPP site, not through Apple.

Desmond Chan
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks Art, just checked with apple canada and they don't recognize NAPP membership.

Not all discounts are available in Canada. In fact, very few are available in Canada.

If you would be buying books, magazines to learn Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. you may as well join NAPP. If you join Kelby On-line training (lower price for NAPP members), I think you get the Layers magazines (electronic version), too. I just renewed the on-line training - on promo this time of the year - and I get 3 of Kelby's books free with it.

Jack Faller
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
NAPP may be worth it for US, the help desk can be useful for Photoshop questions that are tricky.
Instead of Kelby, you might give lynda.com a try for a month (~ $25). It has lots of tutorials for the one price.
Those by Deke McClelland or Taz Tally are pretty informative.

Jeff Donald
12-05-2009, 03:19 PM
To build on what Jack said, lynda.com is great. As Jack said, you can do a month to month subscription for $25 a month and have unlimited access to all their tutorials online. But if you buy their premium monthly or yearly service you also get the files used in the tutorial. Their lessons are also available on DVD for an additional charge. They have well over 600 different titles and over 40,000 video tutorials. I don't have any affiliation with them, past or present, but several schools I've taught at have been subscribers and their courses are great.

Roy Priest
12-06-2009, 02:25 AM
You have to order through the NAPP site, not through Apple.

Jeff, thanks for the info. I guess that puts me out of the running for a mac discount, unless I import one.:)

Roy Priest
12-06-2009, 02:28 AM
NAPP may be worth it for US, the help desk can be useful for Photoshop questions that are tricky.
Instead of Kelby, you might give lynda.com a try for a month (~ $25). It has lots of tutorials for the one price.
Those by Deke McClelland or Taz Tally are pretty informative.

Thanks Jack, that's one site I forgot about. I remember when her site was just a few tip and tricks, it's come a long way since. At the time I was using PS mainly for doing website graphics. Photography PS is much more demanding of technical proficiency.

Roy Priest
12-06-2009, 02:29 AM
To build on what Jack said, lynda.com is great.

Thanks Jeff, still some decisions to make.

Eleanor Kee Wellman
12-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Not only do you not get Apple discounts in Canada but you have the privilege of up-pricing of 26-30% over the US price!