PDA

View Full Version : Little Egrets

Rosl Roessner
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Hello to everybody,
I created this picture of the two little Egrets at El Quseir in Egypt. I like the way of their body language in the picture.
What do you think? Is the mixture of sunny and shady parts disturbing the picture?

Thanks for your critique,
Rosl

Lana Hays
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Welcome, Rosl
The body language with the closeness and raised feet is very good. The shadows don't bother me. What I would like to see is a slightly different angle to get more of the profiles of the birds. I think I would crop just a little off the bottom as I keep noticing the OOF bottom edge.

Jim Neiger
01-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi Rosl,

I like the interaction between the two birds and the raised foot of each bird really adds alot of interest to the image. In addition to what Lana said, I think you made a good exposure for the shadow areas, but the sunlit highlights are overexposed causing loss of detail in the whites. I would suggest trying to make a good exposure for the bright white areas. Then you could use the shadow highlight tool in Photo Shop to bring out any lost detail in the shadow areas. The closer you expose the bright whites to the edge without over exposing, the more detail you will get in the darker areas. Sometimes when the subject is partialy in the light and partialy in shadow, the camera does not have enough dynamic range to expose both properly without losing detail. In that situation you can use fill flash to lighten up the shadows.

Alfred Forns
01-03-2008, 08:56 AM
I think the different angle would have made a difference Would love to see the faces !!!!