Canon 30D
100-400L IS
400mm
ISO 320
f/5.6
1/200s
tripod
remote switch

This photo was taken at the finca in Costa Rica 2009. This one owned a patch in front of the house but rarely landed in the open with me around. This day I was able to approach, this was the only keeper. It is a crop with a few distractions taken out of the top right corner. All C&C welcome.

Chuck Fritsch
12-01-2009, 09:23 PM
The catch lights seem to be a bit cluttered. Perhaps it would look better if you simplified them. Sensational colors on the bird.

Jim Crosswell
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
The catch lights seem to be a bit cluttered. Perhaps it would look better if you simplified them. Sensational colors on the bird.

I am not sure on how to remove and/or simplify catchlights in the eye. Can anyone who can offer some information on this technique. I use CS2 for my PP. Thanks

James Salywoda
12-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Beautiful pose and shot Jim I love the colors captured in this pretty hummer .

Chuck Fritsch
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I am not sure on how to remove and/or simplify catchlights in the eye. Can anyone who can offer some information on this technique. I use CS2 for my PP. Thanks

You can try Artie's guide.
https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252

Dan Brown
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey Jim, really nice work! As for the catch light in the eye, I like it as posted! It is a mirror into the birds environment IMO. If it were a bunch of strobe highlights, I would reccomend a fix but as posted, it's good (once again IMHO:)).

Raymond Barlow
12-02-2009, 05:59 PM
well done Jim., beautiful bird!

Chuck Fritsch
12-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey Jim, really nice work! As for the catch light in the eye, I like it as posted! It is a mirror into the birds environment IMO. If it were a bunch of strobe highlights, I would reccomend a fix but as posted, it's good (once again IMHO:)).

A valid point. I know a number of photographers that agree. I also know a few that would differ.

Given that you want the mirror into the birds environment what do you think about removing the small circular spot at about 9 o'clock near the rim of the eye?