PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly on Bloom

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Taken at Butterfly World with the Canon Mark lll (yes, it works:D) and the Sigma 180mm macro and a 1.4 tele and a 20mm extension tube. Twin MT24 lights at ISO 400 at f22 and 1/100th of a sec. One of my favorite places in S. Florida. You have to handhold,but it's worth it.
As always, comments welcome.
Roman

Small Group Photographic Tours
www.roaminwithroman.com (http://www.roaminwithroman.com/)

John Cooper
02-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Stunning image Roman with good detail and great complimentry colour - I would just like to see a little more canvas at top.
Very nice capture!!!

Robert O'Toole
02-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Super image, I like it a lot in fact this is my favorite photo of yours that I have seen on BPN. Great colors, sharpness and a great smooth bright BG.

Why did you use an extension tube, a S 180 offers enough magnification for this subject no?

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
02-16-2008, 11:11 PM
T
Hi Robert......to answer your question. I move around alot in butterfly world and the setup I use alllows me to get really close or be able to stand back more so as not to spook the butterflies. I can do very close micros or shots like the one above without changing equipment.
Roman

Robert O'Toole
02-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Hi Roman, thanks for the info now I get it. I actually do the same thing photograping dragonflies so that I can move in quickly and do head shots without having to add the tube.
Do you find that your subject butterflies to be the same as D-flies in that there is a circular zone of disturbance, move inside that circle and the D-flies are fearless, outside (farther) the D-flies are skittish.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey Robert,
Absolutely.....but at Butterfly Word they aren't nearly as skittish as in the wild as they are constantly surrounded by people. The big issue in BW is that as soon as you cast your shadow on them they either close up thier wings or fly away. BTW...I also forgot to mention that my 1.4 tele won't fit on the Sigma 180mm macro without the tube.
Roman

Mike Moats
02-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey Roman, this is really nice, great job on the focus, colors, and well done on BG.

Jeroen Stel
02-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Great colours and choice of DOF!
A little more canvas at the top would make this a winner!

Greetings,

Jeroen Stel