PDA

View Full Version : Titmouse at High Noon

kenn threed
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

Back again with another Titmouse shot this time. This was shot at 12:06 pm on a sunny day, but with a thin diffuse cloud layer which really helped to mellow out the hard mid-day shadows. I was pleasantly surprised to get this shot without too much of the usual noon-time harshness.

http://kenn3d.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-Blossoms-Butterflies-VOL/titmouse7183c/705327422_iXeDh-X3-1.jpg

Canon S3-IS ISO100 F3.5 1/500

All comments are appreciated.

Kenn

Kenn & Temple
Backyard Birders in St.Louis, MO
http://kenn3d.smugmug.com (http://kenn3d.smugmug.com/) <!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Good details and nice BG. I find the bird a bit tight in the frame...perhaps adding some canvas back, including more of the perch (if you have it). I would have preferred the head not cocked up, but not too bad. I find the image light overall...darkening the midtones to 0.75 in Levels yielded a nice result when I tried it in PS. I love how the feet are gripping the perch :-)

James Littlejohn
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Wow. Love this! Super detail on this beautiful bird.
A bit more space to the left of the tail would be nice. Maybe position the bird just a little bit to the right in the frame if your original has some extra space for the tail. But as is the overall impact of the photo is still strong.

Harshad Barve
12-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Wow , One beautiful image , lovely details and nice BG , agreed with Daniel here
TFS

kenn threed
12-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Good details and nice BG. I find the bird a bit tight in the frame...perhaps adding some canvas back, including more of the perch (if you have it). I would have preferred the head not cocked up, but not too bad. I find the image light overall...darkening the midtones to 0.75 in Levels yielded a nice result when I tried it in PS. I love how the feet are gripping the perch :-)

Thanks for your comments Daniel,

I've cropped this to 800 pixels vertically for posting here, both to abide by the forum guidelines and to preserve the detail of the image. My copy is 1024 high and has more canvas all around including more of the perch. Perhaps my uncalibrated (Samsung 23") monitor displays less bright than yours... I've set it by eye to 50% brightness and most posted images look right to me this way. I was tempted to send you an edit of your very lovely "King of the Moss" chickadee shot with the background and perch brightened some (+.20 Highlights). :)

I appreciate your feedback,

Kenn

kenn threed
12-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow. Love this! Super detail on this beautiful bird.
A bit more space to the left of the tail would be nice. Maybe position the bird just a little bit to the right in the frame if your original has some extra space for the tail. But as is the overall impact of the photo is still strong.

Thanks a lot James,

My version of the shot is much as you suggest. As I replied to Daniel above, this post was cropped a bit tighter... mostly to maintain the impact you so graciously commented on.

Kenn

kenn threed
12-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Wow , One beautiful image , lovely details and nice BG , agreed with Daniel here
TFS

Thanks Harshad,

I really appreciate your comments.

Kenn

James Salywoda
12-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Such a beauty Kenn really a very nice shot I love that bg as it compliments the bird.

Kiran Poonacha
12-02-2009, 02:06 AM
loved the sweet light here, nice details and perch too.. congrats..

kenn threed
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks also James S. and Kiran,

We have quite many of these sweet birds here and enjoy them very much everyday. This is one of the better looking ones who kindly groomed itself before this shot... so I didn't have to remove any crumbs from the beak. This was a particularly good day for high noon light, which worked well for both bird and bg I think. :)

...appreciate all your comments,

Kenn