PDA

View Full Version : Birds are everywhere!

Jay Gould
12-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I am not sure what it says either about me or about BPN. It is 9:30pm, we are in Villarica Chile, and here I am posting and commenting on images on BPN.:confused::o

Anyway, during the Graham-Moats Fall Sierra Colors-Macro Workshop, Mike and I did some pattern work and found this bird with a good HA. ;)

I had a lot of fun with Mike during the few days we were together. As he described in his post about being a working professional - he works!!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 11 Oct 09; 2:30pm
Light condition: clear
Lens: 100 f-2.8 Macro
Focal length: 100mm
Extender:
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 400
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 1/10 sec
Aperture: f/32
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: One Shot
Tripod: yes
Filter: None
Crop: 25%
All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Julie Kenward
12-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Jay, this has such great potential! I absolutely love the gold tones running through this and the "bird" is really a wonderful find. I bet a million people have walked right by it and never seen what you saw.

I do find his "beak" to be a litt hot - I'd consider toning that area down just a bit. You want to retain the light that's beaming down but put a little cabosh on that hot area.

I also like your comp but you could take a chunk off the bottom and go with a pano crop - you still get a lot of the swirl and texture in but it really makes the bird stand out even more. Try it!

Jay Gould
12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Julie, better?

Julie Kenward
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I think so - it doesn't feel to overlit now. It really is a beautiful image, Jay!

Jerry van Dijk
12-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Ha ha, Jay! You've been watching birds for too long! Creative idea, nicely composed. I love the textures on this old wood and the colors, esp. in the repost.

Ed Vatza
12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Great eye, Jay. Makes for a great catch. The repost does look a bit better.

Jay Gould
12-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Thanks everyone; thanks Juile for the educational help - it is such fun playing on BPN; and especially thanks to Mike Moats for the original assistance.

Mike Moats
12-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Hey Jay, it was a pleasure shooting with you, and this came out great as we thought it would. Well done, hope you're getting some fantastic image where ever you right now. Jay is living life to the fullest and is hard to keep track of!

This birds head was poking out of a Britle Cone pine tree that's probably thousands of years old. Maybe it's a real birds head that is pertified:D