PDA

View Full Version : Mono Lake No 2 - Waiting For Sunset

Jay Gould
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
You certainly can spend a lifetime photographing the different moods of Mono Lake.

Wow, when I just previewed the image it doesn't look anything like the image on my calibrated laptop monitor. My laptop monitor displays a much richer image. This B&B monitor is blind! :D

I will be interested in how you are seeing this image on your monitors.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 10 Oct 09; 6pm
Light condition: clear
Lens: 16-35 f/2.8
Focal length: 35mm
Extender:
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Manual
Speed: 1/10 sec
Aperture: f/9
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: no
Filter: SR Color Intensifier and Warming Polarizer
Crop: 50%
All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Rob Miner
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Jay, the "Tufa formations" and the island do not seem to carry the evening color. Anything that one could say about the crop would be a personal observation. Thanks for sharing.

Rob...........

Jay Gould
12-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Rob, that is an interesting observation. I rechecked the original and the formations and the island do not have any of the pink appearing in the rest of the image. Perhaps because it is so early before the sunset that the pink is appearing only in the far background and the resulting reflection?!

Also the original had a significant amount of rubble in the foreground which was removed in the crop.

Dave Mills
12-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Hi Jay, I've been to this location a number of times and you were fortunate to get such a beautiful sky. In this direction shooting late light the tufas usually turn a golden color. Due to the sky having alot of clouds that light might not of gotten to them. However, I like your comp and the dramatic sky carries the image. If possible I might have given a bit more room on the bottom to give more space between the tufa reflection and the bottom of the frame. All in all a pleasing image....

Roger Clark
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Jay,
I've been to mono lake a couple of times but did not get skies this nice. Very nice image, but I would like to see a little more on the bottom so the tufa reflections were not cut off.

I really like the colors on this image. I think the tufa are showing some color as they are pretty bland.

Roger

Jay Gould
12-02-2009, 06:27 AM
Based upon the suggestions I lowered the foreground crop and did a serious cloning of the rubble abound the reflections.

Dave Mills
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi Jay, Good job on the cleanup and additional canvas....

Roman Kurywczak
12-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi Jay,
Very good advice above on the extra room for the reflection.....so nice job on the re-post. I would go with the OP's color on the tufa's......looked good on this end. Very nice job and glad to see the learning journey is getting results!!! Very nicely done!

Ed Vatza
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
It's pretty much been said by the others but to my eye, the clouds carry the show and they do it very well. Nice work.

Barbara Kile
12-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I like the repost and the space you created at the bottom. Wonderful sky and reflections!

Jay Gould
12-03-2009, 04:43 AM
Thanks everyone! BPN is certainly addictive!!

Robert Amoruso
12-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Jay,

I agree with Ed, the clouds really make the image. Though I am ok with the tufa colors you could select them and saturate them in PS if you are so included.

Indranil Sircar
12-04-2009, 02:57 AM
Beautiful composition, Jay. The sky makes all the difference.