PDA

View Full Version : Wimberly Head V2 99% thriilled SK is hanging in there

Jim Poor
02-16-2008, 03:41 PM
As some of you know, I have a SideKick and now a Wimberly Head V2 out on test drive.

I have to say I'm really happy with the V2 save for one minor thing. Because of the way I carry my rig over my shoulder, the horizontal lock knob digs right into the back of my neck. Time to learn to carry differently.

I've found the Sidekick and BH-55 combo nice to use on a skimmer and it provides a little bit of easier height adjustment too by leaning the SK forward or back from the vertical position.

Robert O'Toole
02-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Hi Jim,

Are you comparing a V1 to V2 or?

Are you using a 5 or 6 (00 mm)?

Robert

Jim Poor
02-17-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi Robert.
V1, V2, and SideKick for a 600 & a 200-400.

George DeCamp
02-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi Robert.
V1, V2, and SideKick for a 600 & a 200-400.

I have a sidekick and a V2 Wimberley. I would be afraid to use the Sidekick with my 600. I have never had a problem with it but have read about others who have had their rig fall out, don't recall why off the top of my head. Maybe they did not tighten it to the ballhead like they should. For the big lenses the Wimberley V2 is very sturdy.

Jim Poor
02-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh I definitely won't be using the SK for the 600. I thought it might be a good choice for the 200-400, but I'm not liking it for that either other than perhaps on a ground pod.

George DeCamp
02-17-2008, 10:10 PM
I thought it might be a good choice for the 200-400, but I'm not liking it for that either other than perhaps on a ground pod.

Yes, that is a very worthwhile setup! I have a skimmer and keep it clipped on my belt and a ballhead and sidekick in a pouch on my belt sometimes when I am using the 200-400 hand held on the beach near me at the Tern colony. Pretty easy to carry vs a full wimberley head. I already had the sidekick when I bought the full head so I kept it, I doubt I would go out and buy it just for that though unless you got a nice deal on a used one.

Jim Poor
02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes, that is a very worthwhile setup! I have a skimmer and keep it clipped on my belt and a ballhead and sidekick in a pouch on my belt sometimes when I am using the 200-400 hand held on the beach near me at the Tern colony. Pretty easy to carry vs a full wimberley head. I already had the sidekick when I bought the full head so I kept it, I doubt I would go out and buy it just for that though unless you got a nice deal on a used one.

I may end up returning the SK, but I have a couple other ideas to try that are specific to the SK. If they work out, I'll keep it and the new WH2. Adjusting to it from the WH1 hasn't been as tough as I thought it would be.

George DeCamp
02-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Artie really likes the Mongoose but only up to and including the 500. I have the 4th Generation Designs foot on my 200-400vr and 600vr, they really make good stuff! Never tried the Mongoose myself.

Jim Poor
02-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I hope to look at a Mongoose when I'm on the March IPT. I read Artie's description of all three heads though and the Mongoose seems very sensitive to slight errors in balancing (as does the SK). I think the full Wimberly (1 or 2) is a little more forgiving.

David Kennedy
02-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Jim,
Something Artie told me back in September was that you cannot use safety stops on the lens plate when you're using the Mongoose. Just FYI.