PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bosque conditions

allanrube
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I Will be arriving Wednesday PM. I have a couple of questions.

1. Would the best spot this week to go to for late afternoon and early mornings be the crane pools on highway 1?

2. If sunrise is 6:50, would 6:30 be a good time to get to the pool?

Alfred Forns
12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Allan

At first light you normally want to be at the main pond inside the refuge, on the road to the flight deck. Time wise be there set up before first light (not sunrise). After the sun rises over the mountains head to the Crane Pools.

Afternoon Crane Pools are the place to be. Would try looking around the Marsh loop, to the right as you come in, lots of opportunities in the area during the day.

allanrube
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Sunrise 6:50 so first light about 6:30?

Roger Clark
12-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Allan,
Alfred describes what I do. 6:30 am should be ok, but twilight starts about then so if you take time to set up
then you may want to be there a little earlier. If there are a lot of early birders you may need to get there earlier to get the best spot. As usual in popular photo locations, the challenge is not in the getting up and out before sunrise, it's getting there before the other photographers! Oops--shouldn't say that on a photography site. Everyone, sleep in. plenty of time, The birds are there all day!

Roger

Jia Liu
12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Allan, I just came back from Bosque. Condition of the main pond inside the refuge is very poor this year. All the photographers, including Artie, were hanging out at the crane pools at sunrise. I normally got there around 6-6:15am, and there were only few parking spaces left.

Roger Clark
12-02-2009, 12:11 AM
AI normally got there around 6-6:15am, and there were only few parking spaces left.

The crane pools or the main lake?

Roger

Jia Liu
12-02-2009, 02:36 AM
The crane pools or the main lake?

Roger

The crane pools. I don't think many people go into the refuge during early morning so far this year, but it may change when more birds come.