PDA

View Full Version : Gallipoli

Alfred Forns
12-01-2009, 11:24 AM
One of the most moving places I have visited. This monument is located below the visitor's center overlooking Anzac Beach.

Comments welcome and much appreciated

arash_hazeghi
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice Al, I think this is for the Turkish independence war with the British at the end of WWI(?) The sign is indeed very liberal and rare honoring both sides of the conflict! Photo is nice too, might tone down the highlights a tad. TFS

Simon Bennett
12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Well captured Al. These words were written by Kemal Ataturk for the the mothers of Australians and New Zealanders killed during the tragic Gallipoli campaign of 1915 in World War I. Ataturk was a Turkish commander opposing the ANZACs during that campaign. He later became the first leader of modern Turkey. Gallipoli has great unifying significance for the Australian and Turkish people. Here's some more information http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov.au/articles/anzac/

Alfred Forns
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Simon I have read a lot about it and there is one book in particular "Gallipoli" which is a must read !!

In the Visitors center they have some letters written by the soldiers and they do make you cry !! ... btw Ataturk started commanding a sector and took over the entire front by the end ... all the time leading from the front.

Gerald Kelberg
12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the image, Al. I have been down to Istanbul a few times, but not made it to Gallipoli.
On my first visit to Istanbul in the late '80s, I was surprised when a local business contact, on learning that I am a New Zealander, immediately turned and said how sorry he was about Gallipoli - referring to the slaughter of the ANZAC troops. It really was a defining moment that stays in the memory of both sides.

You would probably enjoy Peter Weir's movie - "Gallipoli" from the early '80s, if you can get hold of it.

Best,

Gerald

Harshad Barve
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks Alfred for the image , Gallipoli conflict left scars on face of world history,

Gus Cobos
12-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Its well documented Mr. Forns. Thanks for sharing, this is a very moving tribute to those that gave their lives...thanks for sharing...:cool: