PDA

View Full Version : Blue Goose

John Haig
12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Hello folks. This is my first image post to BPN, although I've been enjoying the forums since the beginning.

I was fortunate enough to spend a couple of days at the Reservoir Beaudet in Victoriaville, QC around in early November. There were over 100,000 Greater Snow Geese using the Reservoir while I was there, as well as a handful of blue phase birds like this one.

Canon 40D, 300/4 IS and 1.4, 1/2500 @ f8, ISO 500. Exposure in AV mode with -2/3 comp, handheld. Full frame/no crop. Removed an extra catchlight from the eye (not sure where it came from)

The image could probably benefit from some added canvas at the top/bottom.

Thanks for looking,

John

Ed Cordes
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Nice detail and eye contact. Your own suggestion about more room is a good one.

Betsie Storm
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Welcome John, may we see many more posts from you. Nice first post. Agree with some more room; if possible you may want to try for more detail in the darks in post processing.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Nice to see this morph, I like the wing position and sharpness and wish for a lower angle and more room. The BG has a strong magenta cast. I look forward to the arrival of snow geese 'down here'.

Rodney Flowers
12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
I like the wing spread and it looks sharp. A lower angle would be nice and of course as you stated it could use a little more room.

Kiran Poonacha
12-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Welcome John, good first post, nice points above.. keep them coming..

John Haig
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks everyone! I've added some more canvas and attempted to cure the magenta bias in the background...which I think resulting from me mucking about with the blues in the first place. Not much I can do about the angle ;) but I do kind of like the way it shows the bird, specifically the "grin patch" and feet.