Raymond Barlow
12-01-2009, 05:35 AM
D300 / 200-400 VR @ 400mm
1/80 sec, f8, iso 250
Katana Gimbal, Gitzo 1340
natural light, 75% of frame

Kiran Poonacha
12-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Superb sir, loved the eye contact. nice perch and pose, would be tempted to smoothen out the BG, but I like it as it is too.. congrats..

was it a set up bhai..

Raymond Barlow
12-01-2009, 05:46 AM
Superb sir, loved the eye contact. nice perch and pose, would be tempted to smoothen out the BG, but I like it as it is too.. congrats..

was it a set up bhai..

Good day Kiran

The area where I was shooting yesterday is a marsh boardwalk, where a lot of people
walk and feed the birds seed, and peanuts. My friend Malcolm and I were trying to attract blue jays with a bit of seed, and a peanut, so we had many species of visitors.

take care.

Matt Vosniak
12-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Very nice shot Raymond. I am a huge nuthatch fan because of the wonderfully different poses they give. You nailed a very nice one. Great perch too!! Do you have an image with a head turn away from you? I would love to see that image as well maybe in the future. Sorry if I'm being greedy. ;)

Ed Cordes
12-01-2009, 09:14 AM
Ray, this is nice and sharp. Good HA and BG.

Raymond Barlow
12-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Very nice shot Raymond. I am a huge nuthatch fan because of the wonderfully different poses they give. You nailed a very nice one. Great perch too!! Do you have an image with a head turn away from you? I would love to see that image as well maybe in the future. Sorry if I'm being greedy. ;)

thanks Matt.. I like these little ones myself, we sure had fun yesterday as these birds were very entertaining.

While it was perched here, I took about five frames, and this was the only sharp image. Amazing how these birds will come in and eat right out of your hands.

take care!

Bill Dix
12-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Handsome shot, Raymond. The angled perch yields a classic Nuthatch pose, and the eye contact is terrific. Years ago someone gave me a wood carving of a Nuthatch on a piece of natural wood, and you've managed to capture it almost exactly. Nicely done.

Jim Crosswell
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Great image of this quick moving bird! Did you get your blue jay as well?

Raymond Barlow
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Great image of this quick moving bird! Did you get your blue jay as well?

thanks Jim., and yes, too many blue jay shots! Will post one tomorrow.
Did you see the eastern screech at Point Pelee NP?
take care bud...

Raymond Barlow
12-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Handsome shot, Raymond. The angled perch yields a classic Nuthatch pose, and the eye contact is terrific. Years ago someone gave me a wood carving of a Nuthatch on a piece of natural wood, and you've managed to capture it almost exactly. Nicely done.

Thanks Bill, if you would like a full sized print file of this one, just email me any time.

James Salywoda
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Excellent composition Ray very nicely captured .