PDA

View Full Version : Old work photo from 1999 I think: Smoke from an aspen slash fire

Katherine Enns
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I thought I should really post one of the first old shack photos instead of an old work photo. These are not really old, I only started with this subject about three years ago. This was shot with an old Rebel XT, and the same 24 - 105 I use now, at 35 mm f/4.0. It was very cold, 30 below Celcius, in Dettah, a native village in North West Territories. About 3 PM in January, so just as the sun was going down. I traveled there on the ice road with a kind person who knew I just had to get out of a meeting on air pollution.

kostas nianiopoulos
12-01-2009, 04:05 AM
indeed looks verry cold brrrrrr but is a good image .. well done

Harold Davis
12-01-2009, 05:48 AM
30 below C!!!? how could the camera even work, muchless people live in that weather! love those shadows in the snow.

Alfred Forns
12-01-2009, 08:41 AM
I like it Kat Does have character !!! Might place the shack further back in the frame, I like the framing showing the snow up front ... tough making pictures at that temp !!! :)

Katherine Enns
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it when people give me advice on these sorts of photos, they are not as easy as they look. Ok MUCH easier than birds, but... I have a couple that I shot from a little further back, yes. I will try that.

If you are curious about shooting in those conditions, its ok shooting at -30, I use a toque to keep the camera warm, and stuff the whole outfit into the front of my outside jacket, sometimes inside the second fleece, and only pull it out when I am ready to shoot, I have about a minute to get settings, take a few shots, then it has to be put back or it starts to get slow and non functional. Mostly the computer just packs it in. Some cameras are better than others for Arctic or Boreal or Taiga winter shots. Others I have had pack it in too fast. Its ok on the eastern slopes of the Rockies and rest of NWT east, but in Yukon its a wettish cold and they condense and freeze solid. Not good. This is why I have an Xsi and an XT, they both are really tough and not to expensive to replace.

Even worse when it is 50 below in boreal forest, as the light is flat, grey and everything turns a kind of muddy color unless the sun is shining directly on it, and even then its not easy as there is a terrific amount of refraction (is that the right word for light bouncing off stuff?). Cameras sieze up relatively quickly, and there is no such thing as fiddling around with a tripod! I have to wear latex gloves to collect the plants, and they are surprizingly warm, but eyes, fingers and camera, the basics get pretty nonfunctional relatively quickly at -50 or lower.

I went up to Whitehorse right after I got out of GF Strong as an 18 year old and have been working up there every chance I get. I absolutely love it.

Alfred Forns
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi Kat My biggest problem with extreme temperatures have to be my fingers !! Have tried all sort of glove combination. Currently using some that I can operate the camera and mitts over them so there is only one finger out .... but still trying to find the right base glove !!!

Katherine Enns
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
I know what you mean! Its why I meantioned eyes, fingers and cam, those three things you abs need to take working shots (i.e work for me that is, which is macros of injured vegetation or site shots) and they can really stop working fast in the cold. Even a good balaclava doesnt help much at -50 and lower.

I would recommend you try latex gloves under a good pair of relatively tight-fitting capped mittens, the kind where the cap over the fingers swings off when you need to use your finger tips. The latex underwear is very thin & flexible. You can get the dustless kind with no baby powder. They feel a bit odd at first, but you get used to it. And when you take them off watch out, cause your hands will start to sweat right away. The topped mitten, everyone who works outside in the north on machinery has them.

Alfred Forns
12-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Kat will try the latex gloves !!!

Gus Cobos
12-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Katherine,
I like the capture very much with the textured snow and the play on shadows...and yes its a tid bit on the cold side...:eek::D:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
12-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Watch that first step.

Katherine Enns
12-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Ha ha, thanks Jeff. And Gus...yes, but i LIKE cold. Its not usually something wants to show in a photograph, is it though? Its hard to make a snow scene look warm, esp empty buildings in snow.