PDA

View Full Version : Close up shot - Wagtail

Somak Roy
11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4148430909_999cb12009_o.jpg

Nikon D300s | Sigma 150-500mm | F 9 | 1/250 Secs. | ISO 200 |
I am not sure of the ID. Can someone confirm the ID please.

Daniel Cadieux
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Not familar with Indian species therefore I cannot help you here (It does look similar to our Northern Mockingbird!). Nice in-your-face pose, but the head is soft. Could be a DOF or focus issue, with the legs and parts of the chest/belly looking sharper. Less than ideal perch too. Interesting BG colours...taken near sunset or sunrise?

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-01-2009, 11:06 AM
As Daniel said... this is exactly like northern mockingbird....we are just assuming this was shot in India...was it? Although my knowledge about indian species is a bit rusty now, I cant think of anything in India that looks like the mockingbird.

As for the photo, little too close I feel. The focus is sharp on the feet and not on the head. Was it closer than your min. focussing distance? At f/9, with so much blur, am sure you were very close to him.

Somak Roy
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Am sorry, should have mentioned the location. This was shot in US (Saint Louis, MO). Yes, I was very close to this bird almost within 5 feet. That could have caused the head a little bit out of focus.

Daniel the BG is because of the reddish tiles on the roof of the house behind the bird :)

You are right..this is a northern MockingBird. I just chekced. It looks so similar to the wagtail..Thank you for the ID.

Daniel Cadieux
12-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Then Northern Mockingird it is!

Man, I never would have guessed this was on OOF roof :-) Thanks for the additional info.