PDA

View Full Version : Wilmington Notch

Nick Palmieri
11-30-2009, 08:51 PM
This was an 8 image pano that I photographed near Lake Placid NY at a place called Wilmington Notch, which gets some pretty interesting weather patterns. The trees still had some color, fog was rolling in, and there was frost on the trees. The images were stitched in CS4 and I used curves, boosted the sat+10, USM. I also cropped some FG growth from the central FG.

Dave Mills
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Nick, Interesting image with the soft light piercing the mist. A few suggestions..The top of the mountain is a bit close to the top of the frame and would add more sky. Regarding the image's base I would of added more room and included more of the pond's edge since I see some weed tops that appear to be framing it. Regarding the tree on the left I would have preferred either seeing more of the tree or none at all.

Mike Fuhr
12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I agree with Dave -- it could use a bit more room on top and bottom -- it kind makes me feel like I'm squinting and I want to open my eyes to take it all in! :) Neat moment captured in NY.

Roman Kurywczak
12-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey Nick,
Greetings from White Sands! I agree with the above observations from Dave. Very nice light and mood. You don't have to add much sky as it appears flat.....just to give some needed headroom. Stitch looks VG too. Even if the tree was cut at top, more room to the left....show entire trunk would have been preferable....as is if you don't have it.....I would eliminate it.

Nick Palmieri
12-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys, I do have the full tree, that was my vision cutting it out that way. The original tiff has more room on top and bottom, I think I cut it in the jpeg conversion.

Robert Amoruso
12-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Nick,

To me the most interesting aspects of this image are the fog, the rounded top of thje FG hill and its lighting and the mimicking of that that round shape in the left BG mountain. I would have eliminated the left framing tree and most of the FG ground. MOre room on top is also needed.

With panos, you need to leave more room on the tops and bottoms of the images to account for parallax error correction in the stitching process.