PDA

View Full Version : Downy Woodpecker

Joel Eade
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Backyard setup. The lighting wasn't optimum so I tried to compensate with fill flash. I like the blurred out autumn leaves causing the orange/yellow BG. 40D, 300mm 2.8L, 1/100 sec, f/7.1, iso320, usual processing with ACR and CS4. Nothing cloned out or added.

Axel Hildebrandt
11-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I like the soft light, eye contact and BG. I might sharpen the perch a bit less and tone down the whites on the back and back of the head. I also wish there were some separation between beak and perch. Could you have moved a bit to your left?

Daniel Cadieux
11-30-2009, 08:46 PM
Overall I like this - and the autumn mood you got. I also agree with Axel's critique. Even with such a beautiful BG I would still trim about half the space at right, and half below too - just to get better subject placement within the frame. The tree has tons of character and neat textures to succesfully fill much of the frame. Hope you like?

Jim Crosswell
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I like the repost even though some of that beautiful BG was eliminated. I was drawn to the textures in the wood in the original and the repost capitalizes on it.

Joel Eade
11-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I did think about the crop on the right as well as possibly removing a little of the tree on the left then at the last minute I just decided to leave it. I like the repost...the bird is bigger in the frame and stands out more. Thanks.

Joel Eade
11-30-2009, 09:54 PM
PS...I was in a blind with no way to move to the left to get separation between the bird's beak and the tree.

Steve Canuel
12-01-2009, 02:13 AM
I like the nice warm feel of this one. Personally prefer more of the BG over the tree but it seems you've got a couple of crop options to play with.

Kiran Poonacha
12-01-2009, 05:12 AM
beautiful image,nice pose and details, how about a vertical crop??