PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Bluebird in Flight

Colin Knight
11-30-2009, 05:18 PM
These guys are tough to catch! Any suggestions on minimum shutter speed to get sharp in flight shots? I'm thinking that 1/1000 is not fast enough. Next time I'll try minimum 1/1600 or better.

Canon 50D, 500mm f/4, 1.4x TC, ISO 1600, 1/1000, f/5.6

http://www.pbase.com/clknight/image/119836241/original.jpg

Harold Davis
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
with the little birds, they have to be close to you to fill the frame, and the closer it is to you the faster the shutter speed you need. i'm thinking at least 1/2500s. i think you did really well here. a little soft, but i think you can make the eye sharper. i like the pancake pose here with the eye just barely peeking. really neat! how big of a crop is this?

Colin Knight
11-30-2009, 05:48 PM
Hi Harold. Thanks for your comments. It surely is soft, it was too late in the day to go any faster as you can see from the shutter speed/ISO combination. The composition above was about 70% of the frame. I don't think I'll be getting closer because the FOV is just too small to capture a bird that fast.

I think this would have been a really cool shot about about twice the shutter speed.

Colin

Harold Davis
11-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I think this would have been a really cool shot about about twice the shutter speed.

Colin

agreed!!! big congrats on getting as close as you did. keep working at it. i'm sure you could get it full frame. maybe not use the TC next time. it will slow you down.

Colin Knight
11-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks Harold. I did take the TC off when the lighting got even worse. Next time, I think I'll leave it off the whole time though.

Colin

Katie Rupp
11-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Wow, I'd be happy to capture such a small bird as well as you did here. I agree with Harold's assessmement and that eye peeking out is very nice. You might try a little noise reduction on the bg.

Gail Spitler
11-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Agree with the comments above and hope you keep after these critters. If this is the first image in a series, it should turn out great.
Cheers
gail

Jeff Cashdollar
11-30-2009, 09:16 PM
NIce comments, agree the TC cost you a full stop of light, (but gained distance) maybe carry a flash/BB for low light. I love these birds but as a general rule I do not care for the pancake look, its all about feel - well done - keep em coming.

If you want a good chart on shutter speeds look at sunny 16 rule. I know you were shooting in low light but in that case might not be able to freeze action w/o flash anyway. BIF are best done in adequate light with bright or light sky as a BG.

Sunny 16, applies when sun is shinning around sunrise and before sunset - try to base your exposure on the sunny 16 rule if the sun is shinning strong (read more about this method, just providing fast fly-by). In bright sun with highly reflective surfaces use sunny 22 rule. Allows you to cut light by one stop more and retard blowing highlights.

For example @ ISO400:

1/200 (F/22) 1/400 (F/16) 1/800 (F/11) 1/1600 (F/8) 1/3200 (F/5.6) 1/6400 (F/4.0)

I think this is correct with an ISO=400 could be wrong, watching Monday night football. Hence, with BIF, I would use shutter around 1/3200 aperture 5.6. This is a general guide - hope it helps.

Colin Knight
11-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the comments and information.

Jeff, I'm shooting exclusively in burst mode, as you might has suspected. How long do you think it would take to roast my 580 EX II at 6.5 FPS? I'm thinking I could burn it up, or that recyle time wouldn't be fast enough. Either one wouldn't make me happy.

Colin

Alfred Forns
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi Colin

At the shutter speed your using the flash will have no effect on the bird !!

Shutter speed wise anything over 1600 would be comfortable but won't be enough for the wing tips but if the head is sharp don't think will detract at all !!! Sure wish that wing was a little further back to clear the head a bit more ... you got a sideways shot here but the wings are curled enough to make it look good !! With these guys you just need to shoot and shoot then pick your best .. they are not easy, did real well with this one !!

Colin Knight
12-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks Alfred. I always appreciate your expert opinion.

Colin

Jeff Cashdollar
12-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Actually that is alright, Al teaches that with the rebound you get three different images. One with full flash, one with less and one with none. When imaging BIF one must use moderation, The most common mistake is to hold off until they get real close, keep your power dry until the last minute. I use a battery pack and it works fine. I can handle 1000 images with out recharging.

Al is always right, but with the BB and a wide aperture some light can get thru with higher speeds, try it and experiment.