PDA

View Full Version : Evening Grosbeak (female)

Gail Spitler
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
One from the first couple sets of 7D images. Again a gray, overcast day.
Comments and suggestions much appreciated.
Cheers
Gail
Canon 7D with 500mm + 1.4x, f/5.6 at 1/125, eval. metering, ISO 640

Alfred Forns
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Unusual pose Gail, like it !!!

Bird and bg look great, lots of detail and nailed the exposure ..... might crop some form the left to streamline the image, main thing here is the perch... sort of overpowers the little guy !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Gail,

I am on work monitor, but looks good from, did you use a tripod/bean-bag or HH for this shutter speed??

I use the same setup and would like to know, did you use center sensor or are you using the zone system (I am using center, but still playing with the 7D's configuration options). what do you think about the 7D's ability to shoot higher ISO's, interested in your perspective.

Love the composition might remove the branch in URHC if your ethics permits. Since I use the same setup, maybe we can learn from each other. I am still somewhat new to both the 7D and the 500MM f4 - well done - sweet looking Grosbeak - love the original composition.

Harold Davis
11-30-2009, 05:57 PM
that bird looks great!!! perfect for me!!! great light and exposure and sharpness. agree with jeff on removing that one branch. i see some noise in the bg too. nice job, gail!!!

Gail Spitler
11-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am going to have to do something about bg noise. The 7D seems better than the 50D, but ... First I'll wait for LR3 as Adobe is promising better NR. If not I off to third party plugin.
Jeff I am just getting up to speed on the 7D. Still using center focus point, but there is sunshine in our weather forecast so time for lots of practice. So far I'm very happy.
Cheers
gail

Jeff Cashdollar
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Gail, I use Topaz 3, do not think LRIII will have a better product than an individual plug-in for CS4 or stand alone (never know?). I do see some noise in the BG as well, that's why I do not exceed ISO 400 but do not want to open that can of worms. I just stay under 500, but that's me - and my methods - not suggesting it to anyone else.

Katie Rupp
11-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Gail, glad to hear you like your 7D; I "need" a new camera and am torn between the Mark III and a 7D. I like the unusual pose and agree that the extra little branch should go...I might even crop a little off the top.

Gail Spitler
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks Jeff and Katie. I like the idea of cropping a bit off the top. Sometimes it is so gray that the only choice is the Better Beamer or higher ISO, I guess.

Cheers
Gail

Jay Gould
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I like the image a lot! I think I might turn it into a vertical and crop from the left as Al suggested. Also, I to would remove the small branch. Keep 'em coming!