PDA

View Full Version : Tiger, Tiger burning bright...

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2009, 10:50 AM
This is for Harshad :)

What an incredible country India is and nothing can prepare you for it!

The reserves/parks are teaming with great wildlife, big and small, but it can get a bit like a circus at times sadly, especially one of them. On the way home today I thought I would kick off with something different, but guess as there has been a few Tiger postings I thought I might post one too.

It was the last shot of the day, turning a corner in the jeep there he was, walking along the sandy road which was ideal for his paws and also gave him the suprise/stealth, should anything turn up. He was making tracks for a small water hole. After reaching it and taking several gulps he then turn around and immersed himself in the water and lapped vigorously. Then a frantic dash for me before the gates closed at 6.00pm!

Steve
MKIII 500 f/4 f/5.5 1/320 sec ISO 400 - Position, NOT for the faint hearted:D

Ken Watkins
11-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Steve,

Is this recent?

The only thing I can quibble about in an otherwise staggeringly good image is the slight clippng of the feet!

Steve Kaluski
11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Hi Ken, sadly no.

It was last April when we did about three weeks out there, one of which was with a friend of ours, however this was at another location on our own. Agree, it's a tad tight re 'the paws', but it was a choice of not getting the shot, or repositioning the jeep. The decision was made after six other jeeps turn up, but we had pole position as you would expect LOL.

cheers
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM
this is sublime!! splendid close-up, light, details and exposure. makes you feel as if you're right there. love this one!

Marc Mol
11-30-2009, 04:57 PM
The color, lighting and detail are superb in this portrait Steve, VWD!

Jeffrey Sipress
11-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh, man, this puts me right into the tigers world. What great detail. What spectacularly beautiful creatures. I just want to pet him so much....

Danny J Brown
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Extraodinary tiger shot, Steve. You've taken us there well with your image. Thanks.

Harshad Barve
11-30-2009, 07:59 PM
One of the most spectacular tiger image I have seen in recent past
Thanks a ton
TFS

, ps , In Bandhavgarh ?

Steve Canuel
11-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Beautiful color, detail, and clarity.

Ajit Huilgol
12-01-2009, 12:49 AM
Lovely close-up, Steve, and love the details. One can even see a fly on the tiger's nose!

Sabyasachi Patra
12-01-2009, 02:10 AM
Lovely. I like the description too. Where was this image created?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Kaluski
12-01-2009, 02:44 AM
WOW guys thank you so much. I enjoy seeing others work a lot and it's nice to share with like minded people :-)

Sabyasachi - The location was Ranthanbore

peter delaney
12-01-2009, 04:31 AM
lovely close up , low angle and beautiful light help to make this a great portrait.

only minor suggestion i would make is to remove/clone distracting grass in front of tongue...

well done and welcome to BPN wildlife forum

peter

DanWalters
12-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Really like the light and the detail in the tigers face. Like the way the water is coming off the tongue as well.

Betsie Storm
12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Beautiful close-up Steve, one can almost feel the fur.

Nagesh Mula
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Its a fantastic image Steve, one of the best I've ever seen. Very sharp and nice use of DOF. The only thing I would say is to have a little more room to the right to include the Tiger's left paw. Congrats!!

subramanya_ck
12-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Ultimate tiger shot. Love the position of tiger in the frame

Santosh Tigga Saligram
02-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh my, if ever an image gave the feeling of being up, close and personal with this greatest of great cats, this image has to rank as one of the top three at the very least! Absolutely loved it for the sense of presence and occasion. Superb!