PDA

View Full Version : Ring-billed gull

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/10257970-lg.jpg

I got to spend some quality time with these birds over the weekend. The wings were clipped in the orig capture...so I clipped them even more :-) Does it work?

40D. 300 f/4 non-IS and 1.4x. iso 400. 1/800. f/6.3. Some sharpening of the bird's head, body and tail. Nothing done on the wings. The shadow of the bill bothers me but I didn't want to clone it out.

All opinions welcome.

Dave Blinder
11-30-2009, 11:06 AM
I love it. Great choice on the crop, and excellent definition on the bird. I actually like the bill shadow.

Looks like the bird was coming straight at ya!

Dave Leroy
11-30-2009, 11:24 AM
I like the composition. Colours work very well also. Nice and sharp and interesting that no sharpening was applied to the wings. I would not have thought of doing that. Very well done. Dave

Phil Ertel
11-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Kaustubh, I think your composition works well. I like the head angle with a clear view of both eyes. The body and tail appears to have good detail. The shadow of the beak does not bother me. My personal preference would be for the wings to be either blurred a little more to provide a sense of movement or to have them a little sharper. Considering my last comment, I might consider cropping even tighter to focus on the head and body. Just another option. Pretty nice as is. Thanks for sharing.

Harshad Barve
11-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Compo looks good KD , nice sharpness on head
TFS

Kiran Poonacha
12-01-2009, 04:35 AM
loved the focus and eye contact KD, the crop works fine, would also love to see a 2/3 ratio crop too..