PDA

View Full Version : Software to check AF point?

Nonda Surratt
02-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Dear Folks

What software can I use to check where the AF point(s) are on images? (Canon). (Mac)

Thanks

Bob Ettinger
02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Breeze Browser works great. You can download a trial before you buy.

http://www.breezesys.com/products.htm

Nonda Surratt
02-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks much Bob!! Rats I'm on a Mac....

Pat Nighswander
02-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Zoom browser will do this.. it came free with your canon camera software

Nonda Surratt
02-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Ahaaa..Cool thanks!

Pat Nighswander
02-16-2008, 02:12 PM
if the one that came with your camera isn't for a mac... google zoombrowser and you can download the latest update from canon Europe

Nonda Surratt
02-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Pat actually did that and did find Mac software but not ZB as a stand a lone? Do I need to DL the whole DPP? or did I miss something, very possible.

Never mind got it taken care of! Thanks Pat

Pat Nighswander
02-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I don't like zb for editing raw but just to see the autofocus points if I have questions... I like the dpp for processing raw but I seem to be in the minority... I do like it better than adobe..I think you might need whole package... I forget...yes I think you need whole package... when I loaded them I made it so the two would operate seperately but later thought the choice of operate together would have been better

Nonda Surratt
02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Couple days late, sorry

Thanks Pat for all your time and info!

JP Bruce
02-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Doesn't the software only show which AF point was selected? If you press shutter to get focus and recompose before final shutter release the point will be off. Any way that is what I've seen in Breeze Browser. You can get an idea of focus point. And if you don't recompose it will be accurate. I believe this to be correct.

Nonda Surratt
02-20-2008, 08:57 AM
JP,

I use CP and in the images I was checking no recompose. Knowing where my focus point was at the time of the image answered a few questions.

Thanks!

David Kennedy
02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
The only unfortunate thing is that if you were using 45 point (with a pro body, at least), all that you will find is that the ring of fire lights up in the image on screen. It won't show you exactly which focusing points out of the 45 that it used. It can be frustrating that way! Of course, if you never use ring of fire, that won't be a concern for you, but my camera practically lives in 45-point mode.

Richard Kowalski
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
EOS Viewer Utility that came with the camera does it for both PC & Mac. I have it loaded on the G4 I use at work. Simple yet effective browser/viewer/raw converter...

Also, to support JP's answer, if you recompose after focusing, it'll only show the point used, of course