PDA

View Full Version : Another shot of the savanna hawk

Mike Fuhr
02-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Here another hawk I took later that same day in Colombia. I don't quite like the lighting as much but seeing the profile of the bird is quite nice. Any suggestions for cropping, etc.?

Nikon D50

100-300mm F4

300mm

F4

1/1200

Alfred Forns
02-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Mike It is a nice profile Always welcome raptors Would suggest posting at the max 800 across Will be easier to evaluate

Crop wise the first thing that comes to mind is the bird being in the center Lots of time you use the center AF point and end up with this composition We call it CAS (Central Auto focus Syndrome)

Several ways to avoid Compose in single shot, use the rear button to hold focus and recompose or go to the rear button AF Would like for you to end up having more room in front of the bird Give him space to look into Less on the back Top to bottom looks good !!!
If it is fine with you would clean the grass going right into his neck area !!!!

Judd Patterson
02-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Nice looking hawk Mike! To me the lighting and angle on this one are much more pleasant than your previous post. The lack of harsh shadows is a good thing for showing lots of feather detail and you have a great head angle here, with the hawk staring right at us.

How did you resize this image for posting? It has a very jagged appearance as if you used a resampling algorithm that is not suited well for photographs. Try something like "bicubic" if you have Photoshop.

Mike Fuhr
02-16-2008, 09:46 PM
To change the size, I just adjusted the image size in one of the basic photo editing software that came on my computer (I've never really had to adjust image size before). I noticed that it looked a bit rough after the resize. I need to invest in photoshop or light room perhaps. Any recommendations?

Mike Fuhr
02-16-2008, 09:49 PM
That's one thing I don't like about this shot -- it's too centered. It actually reminds me of a picture from a bird ID book or something.

I'll recrop and take your advice.

Gus Cobos
03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Mike,
Love the colors and the background, detail on feathers is good. Two things; try to get your next one with more room to the front of him (rule of 1/3) also you can crop just a tad from the rear or the right of the frame. You might also want to clean up the blade of grass touching the hawk from the front and coming out of the back; this would make him stand out better.

Congrats...:D

Gus Cobos...:cool: