PDA

View Full Version : North Shore (NJ) Sunrise

Ed Vatza
11-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Sunrise was at 0658 and I arrived at the Belmar Fishing Club pier at about 0645. I grabbed my gear and headed under the pier for a couple of sunrise shots. I definitely could have used a bit more prep time.

Canon 30D; 24-70mm f/2.8L lens; Vari-ND filter; tripod

10 sec @ f/18; ISO 100; 0 EV

Robert Amoruso
11-29-2009, 09:50 PM
Ed,

I have been coming back to your image for the past couple of hours. I like the sun burst on the water's edge and I like the idea of the framing with the pier but something just was not working for me. I reposted a tighter crop that brings thetwo pier posts as frames to the sunset. I also cropped top and bottom to lose the shoreline and the blank sky above the clouds.

I feel the tighter crop combined with the diagonal frame on the left and right heightens the drama and graphic quality of the image. I also lightened the image some using a curves correction.

Dave Mills
11-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Hi Ed, I like Roberts repost and how he handled the crop. I was also going to suggest that you bring the rt side closer to the pier and either include all of the left pier or eliminate it.(as Robert did)It's another idea...

Ed Vatza
11-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks Robert. Thanks Dave. Appreciate the feedback. But I am not sure about the crop. Something about the square crop her just doesn't set well with me. I look at the image and am seeing a snapshot much like what I would expect from the other folks who ran out with a P&S, snapped off a few quick ones and left. That's not meant to put down what you've tried to do by any means. It is just trying to explain my feelings.

I viewed the pier pilings as an integral part of the composition. My thoughts are going in the direction of maybe I should have included more of the pier instead of less. For example, here is another image made a few minutes later. I left more of the pier in rather than less. I actually prefer this image to the original post but wanted the feedback on that one more.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0911_SunriseBelmarNJ_010-Edit-Edit.jpg

Any thoughts on going in this direction rather than the tighter crop?

Norm Dulak
11-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks Robert. Thanks Dave.

I viewed the pier pilings as an integral part of the composition. My thoughts are going in the direction of maybe I should have included more of the pier instead of less. For example, here is another image made a few minutes later. I left more of the pier in rather than less. I actually prefer this image to the original post but wanted the feedback on that one more.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0911_SunriseBelmarNJ_010-Edit-Edit.jpg

Any thoughts on going in this direction rather than the tighter crop?

Ed:

I'm with you in thinking that this is the best posting. It's brighter with more sun reflection, and I agree that the pilings add considerably to the composition. Well done.

Norm

Dave Mills
11-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi Ed, I prefer this post to the others for the reason that you now know that the posts are part of a pier which gives you a sense of place. Might tone down the sun reflection just a bit. Did you happen to shoot this where you see the bottom of the piers legs? If you did it would be interesting to see it...

Hazel Grant
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
The second posting, IMHO, speaks so much more. Now you have the pilings are part of the image, an achoring, if you willl. And the path of the light on the water leads right to the viewer.

Hazel Grant
11-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Another question: please post the data. I'm curious how you set up for the light-vs-dark contrasts.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Good post Ed learn quite a bit about composing a scene and having many different angles that gives you a sense of place like Dave said

Roman Kurywczak
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Hey Ed,
Grettings from Bosque....hence the delay in response.....I like the OP sunburst and clouds and even the sky color while I like the pilings in the 2nd post....nice job exploring the different comps too!

Ed Vatza
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
As always, I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I'll let y'all (hey, I lived in Georgia for several years!) in on a secret. The OP is a crop. There are pilings to the left in the original image. Also I kept it dark on purpose. So I may end up going back and returning the additional pilings as well as lightening the image just a wee bit.

As far as the second image, I just like the path of reflection from my feet out to the horizon a lot.

Nick Palmieri
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I like the second post, I think the pilings add a lot to it.

Barbara Kile
12-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I love the repost - I often like a 'wider' view and this one provides more interest for me. Great job!

Bill Jobes
12-03-2009, 05:04 AM
I think your repost is excellent, Ed.

I also like Robert's take on it, except that without a reference, I don't know what the black borders are.