PDA

View Full Version : Hosta a posteriori

Katherine Enns
11-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Hi. I am kind of fond of old ramshakle things including plants past their prime. This was shot in really dim light, its Sum and Substance Hosta which always looks really mottled as it fades. Canon Xsi, with the 24 - 105 mm, iso 1600, 105 mm, f/7.1 1/60th of sec. Comments more than welcome.

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey Kat, this is very creepy but cool as an abstract. Nice details and like the tones.

Katherine Enns
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
well thank you, esp re creepy, as that was the intent. For some reason I cant get certain elements to come sharp no matter how many ways from Sunday I shoot it.

Ed Vatza
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Abstract for certain. I'm not sure I would have identified it as plant material without you saying so. Interesting patterns. And it definitely fits in the "things way past prime" file!

Katherine Enns
11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Oh thanks, Ed. Gosh, I like that you find it suits abstract. Lots more where this came from. ... its a favorite thing to do in November; find Beautiful Dead Things.

Julie Kenward
11-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh I could have guessed this - but only because I shoot mine every October as the leaves are so darn interesting as they decay away. You did a really nice job here...and it's a good thing you meant it as an abstract because wow - it really is. I think an alternative would be to really pump up the one area with color if that was something you'd find interesting. I do like it as is, though. Be neat to see it as a black and white image as well.

Katherine Enns
12-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Hi Julie, I am glad you find these interesting as well. There is nothing quite like Hostas for late fall interest. Thanks also for comments on the photo itself. I am learning so much here. I compared this to previous shots and i can see the difference.

Jerry van Dijk
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Katherine, it sure is past it's time! Great "alienesque" feel. Very creative thinking and wonderful details.

Katherine Enns
12-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Jerry. Apparently Julie has noticed this too..(Julie please post a shot if you have one!!) Hosta's really do look incredible at this time of the year. Glad you like it. I have more, .....bwaa ha ha!