PDA

View Full Version : So you want to be a nature photographer

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 01:02 PM
I see many times people posting interest in taking their hobby of nature photographer to the pro level. Myself and I’m sure other pros have people that contact them asking for advice on what it takes to make a living in this field. My response is that from my experience it’s a seven day work week and can be tough on your family life. I work about forty weekends a year so any family birthdays, holidays, christenings, father and mothers days, sports, concerts, etc, are all missed. Nature photography is one of the toughest fields of photography to make a living in. I’ve found that for me being diversified is the key to making it. Having multiple streams of income keeps the money flowing. Those streams all take a lot of time to keep them flowing.

Marketing is number one, nobody knows you’re alive and in business unless you tell them. Shameless self promotion is something you have to get used to and you need to be the type of person that doesn’t mind this type of marketing as some would consider this bragging about yourself, but it’s just getting the word out that you’re in business and having some success at what you’re doing. I spend a lot of my time marketing, as I moderate on three photography sites, post images, post on Facebook and Twitter, and reply to photographers sending me emails with questions.

I display my images in about twenty five art shows a year. This takes up twenty five of my weekends, many away from home. The shows start in April and run until November and consume almost every weekend for those months. Some of the shows I’m gone on Friday and return on Monday, leaving me Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, to print, package, and pack for the next weekend. During the winter months I’m going though the process of applying to these shows, which is filling out applications, sending images for the jury process, writing out checks for show fees, etc, keeping it all organized so I have a show every weekend. Taking time to keep track of materials and doing all the ordering and always trying to find the best prices. During the winter when I apply to these shows the jury fees and booth fees run about seven thousand dollars, which I won’t see again for months.

During the art shows off season I’m presenting my workshops. I do about twenty five workshops which most are on weekends and some are during the week days. This take time promoting the workshops, adding them to my website and blog, sending out emails and post cards, posting them on nature photography websites, posting on Facebook, etc. I have to call and set dates and times with some of the hotels that I hold them in. I have a macro boot camp coming up next year, which is taking a lot of time contacting companies to help sponsor this program. Working with the hotel, finding other hotel options for those coming in from out of town if the room price is too high at the hotel where the workshop is held. Getting the doorprizes from the sponsors. Planning the workshops and how they will run. Shooting images for examples in what I’m teaching in the workshops.

Wow, I’m already tired and I haven’t scratched the surface on what I do. While all this craziness is going on with the art shows and workshops,

I have to maintain my moderater duties online.

I work with art consultants that buy images for their design projects, print the images, package, ship, and invoice them.

I contact companies that would be willing to sponsor me, work with them when they need images for ads, photo conventions, sometimes even go to photo convention for them. I send them promos for my workshops that they can list on their websites.

I do online workshops, which takes time again promoting, critiquing the participants shooting assignments.

I have a how to macro book that took time to write and have printed, I have to maintain stock at Amazon, maintain on my store front sales, packaging and shipping to customers.

I have three e-book completed and am working on more. Again more promotion, sales and sending the e-books online. I also make them into CDs to sell at the art shows.

I’m looking into doing how-to macro video for next year.

I travel and present programs for camera clubs, photo conventions, garden clubs for flower photography, have done some at REI stores.

Send submission to magazine with article ideas, and once accepted working with the mag to set-up the article and images. Invoice them. I’m working on one now for OP.

Send out information introducing myself to new art consultants, interior designers, calendar companies. etc. reply to their emails as they contact me asking questions about pricing, printing, etc.

I maintain a blog which I write and post as frequently as possible and I write when possible for Tamron’s blog. Post on facebook any updates on workshops, art shows, and any other happenings.

I will visit and sell through art galleries, so time is spend traveling to the galleries maintaining stock.

I have companies that contact me for stock images, negotiate, send files, and invoice them.

I get to beta test new products for companies, and they always wait till the last minute to send you the product and need a response NOW! Take time to work with the product, Email back and forth with response.

I have charities that call and ask for print donations which I always do. Deal with emails, set-up time to make contact with prints.

Take care of all the accounting, sales, taxes, keeping track of cost of running the business.

Wow, all this work is making me tired, I need a nap.

Now are you starting to wonder why I haven’t mention anything about shooting. As you can see there is not much time left to shoot. It can be frustrating and hard to schedule time to shoot, as you have probably heard most pros say that the business takes up ninety percent of their time. I do make time to shoot but it has to be scheduled at the peak times which for me are the spring and fall. The summer I almost never get out to shoot as the art shows consume so much time, but I make the majority of my money selling prints at the shows.

I have to say I’m pretty sure there are a few more thing I do, but I think you’re getting the point. If I tried to make it on any one of these streams alone it would be tough, but with a little income coming from all these streams I do very well, but I sacrifice a lot of time and family life to maintain this business.

I have to say even with all the work I do I can’t wait to wake up in the morning at five o’clock and get to work. I wouldn’t trade what I do with anything else. I always tell people where can you work where people are complimenting you while handing you money, love it.

Good luck if you give it a shot.

Dan Brown
11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow Mike! You are a hard worker! Thanks so much for taking the time to outline your life! This will be very helpful to those of us thinking about trying our hand at it! I am so glad to see that you love it! I will be jumping in and I would be happy to be able to make enough to pay for health coverage, which is no small order!:D Thanks again!

Dave Mills
11-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Mike, I've known how tough it is to make a living at photography(especially nature) for many years. As you so adequately pointed out you have to have your hand in many pies to make a living and sacrefice alot of time. One must be a shameless self promoter or how else will people know who you are.Most folks who have worked for companies most of their lives don't realise what it takes to run your own business. It's not a 9-5 situation working monday thru friday and one is faced with a multitude of problems.
However, if you love what you are doing it can make all the difference in the world!!

Katherine Enns
11-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Thanks for posting this, its a really interesting view into your life, Mike.

While reading this I was struck by the similarities with being a field biologist. I wont go into the parallels in huge detail, but we have the same long hours, bad weather, tough on the body (two hip replacements, and a busted ankle), endless restaurants and motels/hotels, wreckage of the family life (my kids didn't know me) gone for weeks and months at a time, dangerous as **** sometimes, and yeah, also the nauseating self promotion. Maybe the difference is that you don't have to argue with engineers and regulators as much, but my guess is dealing with people with an "artistic temperment" can be a pain in the Astilbe.

One thing you dont mention is that everybody thinks what we do is just so much FUN, the chasing of critters and the photographing of lovely native plants that we should do it for nothing, and just for the love of it. And maybe give them the experience for nothing too. After 30 years I have had a snootful of the rose-colored glasses view of what its like to be a bush jockey. So I deeply respect photographers such as yourself, because I can not imagine what it would be like to have to channel the work through art for the masses. Great post.

Jackie Schuknecht
11-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for posting this Mike. Got tired just reading it:) Puts things in perspective and makes you think before you make the leap, if ever. But on the big plus side, you are doing something you love.

Dave Leroy
11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow! Not something as a person with a hobby I would have thought of. I can only imagine that the new digital age has also brought you lots of new opportunities, challenges, expenses and competition. Thanks for posting Mike. Dave

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey Dan, it's always easier working long hours if you really love doing it, and you can make money doing this with just using a few streams of income to help pay for your health ins. Thanks

Hey Dave, your right 9 to 5 won't cut it in this business. Thanks

Hey Katherine, interesting comment on your own life, you are right that not everything we do is fun, but you do what you have to to make it work. At the end of each day it's worth it. I'm very lucky my wife is a teacher and very involved in her work so doesn't get bothered by all the time I spend doing this, and is very understanding about me working all the weekends. My kids are grown and gone on their own so don't to deal with all the kid stuff. Thanks

Hey Jackie, yes I started to write this and it went on and on and on, and I thought the same thing, this will have people tired just reading it. Thanks

Hey Dave, the digital age and internet has made a huge difference in running the business, my business wouldn't have gone any where near as far as it has without the internet.

Roger Clark
11-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Mike,
Very interesting. Not that I'm planning to do this but it would be interesting to hear a ballpark what kind of expenses one entails with all the efforts. E.g. travel to the cities for the art shows and cost for hotels. One must have to gross quite a lot to make a decent income after expenses, including photo gear.

(I've got my own 120-hour a week job--don't need another one.)

Roger

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Hey Roger, I will give an example for a show this year that was the farthest from my home. I live in Michigan and the show was in Louisville, Kentucky. A large art show that runs three days. My show sale were $4500.00, (this was my first time in this show and had a poor location which results in lower sales then others with better location) material costs of products sold and booth fees, $1000.00. Gas, hotels (people in the art show business have corporate cards that get great hotel room rates) misc, run about $500.00 so I came home with $3,000.00. Plus any sales of books, and misc. print sales that week. This is an avereage show, some run as high as five figures and a small shows close to home where I sleep at home, run around $2,000.00 in sales and I'm left with $1,500.00 after expense. The show in Kentucky I used as an example, another photographer friend sold $12,000.00, and this is in a poor economy.

Jay Gould
11-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks Mike, I think I will continue to work on being a good amateur! ;)

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey Jay, good to hear from you and hope your latest adventure is going well.

Roger Clark
11-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the ballpark numbers. It appears you are indeed doing quite well. I have visited a number of art shows this year and, as always, talk to many of the photographers. Some of the shows here in Colorado were loses for the photographers: lots of people looking, but few buying, and what they did buy were the smallest lowest priced prints. But you can always tell the successful photographers at the art shows: their work is outstanding and their booths are crowded and people are buying. Then you walk by another booth and no one is there (photography or other).

As with many successful businesses/careers, one has to work long hours to stay on top.

Best of luck,

Roger

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Roger,
you have one of the top shows in the counrty in your state, Cherry Creek art show. You're totally right about some photograhers can't make their booth fee and end up out of business and some are doing excellent sales. Always comes down to the talent of the photographer. I have increased my sales every year for four years in a row as I learn about the better shows, which prints sell the best, and booth design. I expect next year to do even better, and I can't wait until the economy comes back.

Katherine Enns
11-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Ok, then judging by the response to my shack and shed shots on here, I better keep my day job :) !! Thanks for the numbers, I have looked at your photographs, and I can see why your in the business, Mike.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
From Jay Gould "Thanks Mike, I think I will continue to work on being a good amateur! "

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CChris%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I am with Jay on this one.

Unlike Pros, I am devoting my life to ridding myself of all the pesky money I spent a lifetime earning, investing and saving.

All my work goes gratis to many clubs, environment preservation organizations, and friends all over the world and to the Gould League here in OZ along with behavioral observations all of which cost me heaps and I enjoy every minute of it.

I was fortunate enough to have made a bit of money in my professional life (hopefully I will die BEFORE it runs out) and am not naive or stupid enough to believe that I will ever have the skill (or time left) to make a profession of my hobby but I do have the ability to hang around here in the company of so many fantastic Pros and Amateurs and bask in the shadows of their wonderful work and their generosity of spirit.

That in itself is payment enough for me.

nzmacro
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Gees, I'm glad its a hobby :D

Danny.

Mike Moats
11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Hey Danny, It's just a hobby for me to, but it pays the bills:D

Eric Virkler
11-30-2009, 08:39 PM
Mike, Thanks for the in-depth description. Very helpful to anyone wishing to make the jump. I started my photography business in '05, but it's just a side business for me. Reading through your list of activities and streams of income; it's clear why it's still just a side business for me. I checked out your site and found some very nice macro work (as I expected). What I didn't expect was that you only started shooting in '01. (Just a year before me) Thanks again for you post.

I also appreciate the fact that you've responded to everyone. Says a lot about you.

Eric Virkler
Faces of Nature Photography
www.ericjvirkler.com (http://www.ericjvirkler.com)

Mike Moats
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Eric, thanks for the comment, and it has happened very quick. The old saying, the harder I work the luckier I get. It's true.

Harshad Barve
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
Hi Mike
Thanks a ton for this post ,
Just visited your website , TERIFFIC work indeed

Harshad

Jay Gould
12-01-2009, 05:22 AM
<META content=Word.Document name=ProgId><META content="Microsoft Word 10" name=Generator><META content="Microsoft Word 10" name=Originator><LINK href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CChris%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><STYLE> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </STYLE> I am with Jay on this one.

Unlike Pros, I am devoting my life to ridding myself of all the pesky money I spent a lifetime earning, investing and saving.

All my work goes gratis to many clubs, environment preservation organizations, and friends all over the world and to the Gould League here in OZ along with behavioral observations all of which cost me heaps and I enjoy every minute of it.

I was fortunate enough to have made a bit of money in my professional life (hopefully I will die BEFORE it runs out) and am not naive or stupid enough to believe that I will ever have the skill (or time left) to make a profession of my hobby but I do have the ability to hang around here in the company of so many fantastic Pros and Amateurs and bask in the shadows of their wonderful work and their generosity of spirit.

That in itself is payment enough for me.

Gosh, you must be a retired - oh my gosh, attorney?! - so many words to say exactly what I said in a few!! :D

And, since I am a retired attorney I agree with everything you have said and couldn't have said it better!!! ;) :D

See ya Mate Down Under one of these years.

Christopher C.M. Cooke
12-01-2009, 07:33 AM
I am a retired attorney <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CChris%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsoh tml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> We down here Jay prefer the august term so beloved by Messrs Rumpole of the Bailey "Barrister"<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <u1:WordDocument> <u1:View>Normal</u1:View> <u1:Zoom>0</u1:Zoom> <u1:Compatibility> <u1:BreakWrappedTables/> <u1:SnapToGridInCell/> <u1:WrapTextWithPunct/> <u1:UseAsianBreakRules/> </u1:Compatibility> <u1:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</u1:BrowserLevel> </u1:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><o></o>
<o></o>
Have a great trip mate.:)<o></o>

Susan Griffith
12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Mike thanks for taking the time to post what it takes. It is a lot to take in and much to think about. I have seen far too many people try to make it in photography only to go back the the day job.

-Susan

Mike Fuhr
12-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you Mike -- so interesting to hear the "behind the scenes" type stuff. Have you ever attended the NatureWorks art show here in Tulsa? It's HUGE!

Craig Markham
12-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Mike, thank you for taking the time to make this post (I see it's on your blog as well). I've pasted a copy to my "Photography as a Business" folder as a reminder that as an income-generating venture, this is an extreme "sport". Someone occasionally sees one of my images and exclaims that "You oughta send that to National Geographic". I smile and thank them nicely. Making photographic images in natural settings and making music are two of my greatest pleasures, but I'm glad I don't have to depend on income from either. Still I work hard at both just for the sheer pleasure and possibility of capturing some beauty to share, and have some innocent say "You oughta send that to National Geographic!".

Love your creative approach to macros!
-- Craig