PDA

View Full Version : Female Canvasback

Gary Esman
11-29-2009, 09:54 AM
50D, ISO 400, 1/2000, f/7.1, 400 focal length with EF100-400.

First post in this category. I have done a few in the eager to learn.
All Comments appreciated. Have a great Sunday.

Roger Dillon
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Gary,
I love the head angle but I'm not too crazy about the position of the body, viewing from the rear. It appears that the AF focused more on the rear feathers leaving the head a little soft, another point in favor of more of a side angle view for the body. I like the low angle of the bird showing the reflection but not so much as to distract attention from the bird.

Brian Sartor
11-29-2009, 11:15 AM
I like the looking back pose and the low angle. The head seems a bit on the soft side - critical focus looks like it was on the tail where it seems sharper to me. I would see if you can improve the eye a bit - possibly darken the pupil?

Randy Stout
11-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Gary:

Nice to see you on Avian.

Some good observations above. The critical focus does seem to be on tail/body vs. eye.

Well exposed, good head angle, nice low shooting angle.

I like the horizontal lines in the BG, adds a bit more sense of depth.

Cheers

Randy

Judy Lynn Malloch
11-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Ditto the comments from above. Love the low angle and pose you captured in this image Gary and the excellent color and exposure. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Caswell
11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Gary, As others have said above, I think you are doing the right thing by getting dirty and laying down in that goose crap to get the low angle, maybe I might try that next time ;), I do hope that somehow they can get a better way of shooting low there. And I also hope the male canvas back comes in closer like that female does. Exposure is right on, Do you know if you are using center point only and one shot for this?, Ron