PDA

View Full Version : Juanaco in the Pampas

Jackie Schuknecht
11-29-2009, 07:58 AM
Taken in Chile, cropped to a 16 x 9 pano. Originally in colour, I converted it to black and white. Lots of tweaks with the tonalities, and yes I know the juanaco is right in the center.
20D
17-55 @55
ISO 400
1/250 s AV Eval -1/3
Comments appreciated, thanks.

Dave Mills
11-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Jackie, Nice conversion and exposure having differences of extremes within the image. Agree on the centering and if you got just a bit lower the animal would not have merged with the distant mountain. Tough call on a crop since I would normally take off some on the right (up to the small dark bush to the rt of the animal)
This would take the animal off center and make for a tighter comp. Also the large grass clump in the fg becomes a bit more dominant. By doing that crop a square image would be created which might not be to your liking. Just another idea....

Roman Kurywczak
11-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey Jackie,
Greetings from Bosque! I like the tones and only recommendation is to try and pull more out with a multiplied layer if possible in the sky. I don't mind the animal placement but when this first opened up here in the hotel....the right bush was cut on my screen....and I said oh wow!...then I saw the extra grass on bottom....I like this with a crop above the bush on the right edge....eliminating dark patch above it....you can browser crop to see what I mean....so might be worth exploring!

Katherine Enns
11-29-2009, 11:08 AM
For me this image is about the two layers of landscape, grasses vs mountains, and the Juanaco is a bonus element, which pops out of the middle ground beautifully. I really like it, and I like the bnw treatment.

Ed Vatza
11-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Excellent conversion. Love the layers - grasses, mountains, sky. The clouds looks great. Darn Juanaco just doesn't understand composition, huh! Looks fine to me. He is where he wanted to be. Nice!

Klaus von Schwanebach
12-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Jackie, I would crop out a bit on the right side. And spelling right: it's Guanaco ......and geographically the Pampas are in south central Argentina not in Chile. Guanacos live more in the Andes region.
Good layered composition!