PDA

View Full Version : Whole Lotta Shaking Goin' On

Arthur Morris
02-16-2008, 07:18 AM
Lots of folks believe that for a blurred image of a single bird to be successful, the eye must be sharp. I do not agree, but it is nice when it happens. This drake Redhead was photographed in San Diego, CA.

Canon 500mm f/4L IS lens with the 2XII TC and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/11.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. Later and love, artie

Alfred Forns
02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
This is out the box for certain Does work very well I think the color around the eye makes it happen !!! Love it !!!

Bob Reimer
02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Very interesting shot, Artie! I'm trying to figure out how the bird could be keeping the eye part of its head still enough to get it sharp while generating so much torque to fire off the water droplets and give that blur on the bill and neck. You're getting such lovely reflections off the body, it would be really nice to see the head reflected as well. Looks like the eye may be just appearing in the bottom reflection.

Arthur Morris
02-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Hi Bob, Great to see you here. While I did darken the eye a bit to make it appear sharper than it was, it was pretty sharp to begin with. If you look at the feathers on the face around the eye it would seem that the eye may have been at the center of the rotation. This would explain the relative sharpness of the eye. Eye think...

later and love to you and to Barb, artie

John Wilkerson
02-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I agree with the eye at the center of rotation theory but I can't figure how it can spin at the neck as have the eye in the center. No matter, it is a nice capture. One can hardly help smiling when looking at it. Thanks Artie.

Fabs Forns
02-17-2008, 09:49 PM
Funny and cool. That eye is superb!

Blake Shadle
02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
This is freaky amounts of cool, Artie! Extreme surreal feeling.