PDA

View Full Version : Tribute to an Old Girl

Bonnie Block
11-28-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.pbase.com/herderdog/image/119802050/original.jpg

Yesterday was beautiful here in the Seattle area--I caught a ferry and went up to my favorite spot in hopes of finding SEO's and Harriers. They were all there--but at very far distances. This female did come in fairly close just as I was leaving--and yes, unfortunately on the water pipes and not the nearby drift logs. ;)
I can read the #'s on her band and contacted a fellow I know who banded harriers in the area for over 13 years. He is very excited and says it is pretty likely she is one of his--banded in either 1995 or 1998. There were only four birds in all those years that were banded with such a big band (she is quite large). Very long lived for a Harrier--which makes me happy!:) I'll try to get her with the 2X on and get a better look at the long side of the band the next time I see her which will tell us exactly who she is!

Canon 7D 500L IS + 1.4 TC
1/1250s f/6.3 at 700.0mm iso500

Mike Fuhr
11-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I really like this one -- the lighting and intense stare is nice. Don't mind the water pipe one bit.

Aidan Briggs
11-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Nice light, profile pose, and BG. I like the grasses, but not the perch, and bands. I might try desaturating the yellow a tad on the feet.

Steve Maxson
11-28-2009, 07:57 PM
I like the pose, sharpness, comp, light, and background, Bonnie. I'm OK with the band (for an image of a banded bird), but I'm not as thrilled with the metal pipe. Too bad it wasn't a wooden post. :) Nice background story.

Raymond Barlow
11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
sweet shot Bonnie, sure wish I was beside you!

Danny J Brown
11-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Hey Bonnie Block - I remember that water pipe - the raptors really must like it. Beautiful shot of a banded harrier. How cool is that? I also love the feather detail and the foreground is nice.

Joel Eade
11-28-2009, 09:34 PM
Great shot, no problem with the pipe as far as I'm concerned. Overall very nice image.

Mike Veltri
11-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Nice intense stare on the bird.

Geoff Malosh
11-28-2009, 10:10 PM
Awesome detail. Another vote in favor of (or at least not against) the perch. A wooden post would be better but several other possible objects would be a lot worse.

Steve Canuel
11-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Nice looking bird and I like the transition of textures and colors in the BG. I'm okay with the perch and although a branch might look better, the birds obviously don't mind it either.

Jim Fenton
11-29-2009, 05:43 AM
Bonnie....

Beautiful shot of this regal lady.

The pipe doesn't both me in the least. It's her territory and she's using the post as she likely does frequesntly.

paul leverington
11-29-2009, 07:20 AM
Traking the history of this magnificent bird must bring things to a more personal level I'd think and that must add so much more to the enjoyment. This is one area too that I feel all the photogs out there can and do help with--IOW --a good thing. I can definitely see why you shoot a lot at this location--gorgeous bgs and wonderful subjects. The better shot would definitely be the driftwood if that happens, but you'll have to just get that on another fun day-- eh. She's a beaut and does seem quite big! Sweet light. All in all I wish I could shoot there with you someday! Bonnie--do you think you would be allowed to strap a nice and stable stump to this pipe and not infringe on the rules? Be worth asking them me thinks. Something equally as comfortable for her to stand on as the pipe lets say.

Paul

James Salywoda
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Heck I don't even care about the pole Bonnie this is fantastic I love the setting beautiful light and details.....