PDA

View Full Version : What Is It... Another Leaf

Charles Wesley
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Here's another leaf taken at 2X. Really like the patterns in the under surfaces of my plants. This photo looks like a planned community to me. Somewhat like Google Earth. Will need help with straightening this photo. Knew how to do it with CS2. Can't get it to work in CS4.

Canon 5D Mk 11, Sigma 180 mm HSM APO DX f/3.5, Canon 1.4TC, Canon 12 mm & 25 mm ET and tripod. Used my old slide photo light table for back lighting. Note any grain is from high magnification. Exposure is 20 secs. @ f/29.0 ISO 400. MLU and time exposure.

DPP
PS/CS4
FocalBlade

Enjoy...

Charles Wesley
11-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Here's a more sharpened version with some straightening. Let me know if you see an approvement.
Thanks...

Julie Kenward
11-28-2009, 09:47 PM
I like the repost Charlie. You did a super job of getting the that DOF just right. It looks tight from corner to corner so kudos! I have no idea what type of leaf it is but I bet it would make a smashing print.

Cool idea to use the light table for the backlighting...I've been thinking about buying on over at Adorama Camera and this would be another great reason to have one.

Danny J Brown
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
The repost is beautiful, Charlie. Nature's wonders......

Charles Wesley
11-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. This is the leaf from a tree. Each leaf is smooth with texture and veined on the undersurface. They are also bilobed. The flower is absolutely beautiful. It's a complete flower with three different colors: pale pink, magenta and white.

Let me know if these hints help...

Don Lacy
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
Wonderful patterns and textures Charlie.

Mike Moats
11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey Charlie, like the nice details and light. Good contrast, have know idea which leaf this is from.

Charles Wesley
11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Mike,

Thanks for your comments. This kind of work was a little tougher than I thought. It's most likely too magnified to guess what it is.

Hint: its from Hong Kong and first described by the british....

denise ippolito
11-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Is is a Camellia?

Charles Wesley
11-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Denise,

No it's not. One of its name comes for the largest genera of flowers in the world...

Harold Davis
11-29-2009, 06:40 PM
hong kong orchid? like the repost, charles!

Charles Wesley
11-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Harold,

You are correct. Most impressive on your part. Thanks to everyone for participation...

Harold Davis
11-29-2009, 06:55 PM
that's what i get for being a golf course superintendent!! and i happen to like the trees too. it also helps that you live in fl. :) cool trivia. i've been lurking. keep it up!!

Charles Wesley
11-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Harold,

Glad you like the tree also. The St. Augustine area is most likely as far north one can keep this tree blooming throughout the year.

I thought you were a master gardener...

denise ippolito
11-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Good job H. This was a hard one, Charles-this is fun!! Charles, I look forward to seeing one of your Hong Kong Orchids.

Charles Wesley
11-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Denise,

Thanks so much. I'm waiting to get a better bloom than last time. Need to stop taking floral photos unless the flower is near perfect. Can't rush things...

Ed Vatza
11-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Love the color, detail and texture particularly in the repost. And your analogies are spot on. Nice work!