PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii trip - volcano, gardens, etc

Barbara Kile
11-27-2009, 08:53 PM
We have an upcoming trip to Hawaii (mostly Maui) and have some questions:
1) Are the books by Andrew Doughty of value?
2) What other island has gardens to photograph and the volcano that people capture at sunrise?
3) Should we hire a guide or are there printed guides that give enough good info on when/where to photograph?

We plan to go a few days early, so we want to do something besides what is on Maui.

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance!

Roger Clark
11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
We have an upcoming trip to Hawaii (mostly Maui) and have some questions:
1) Are the books by Andrew Doughty of value?

Hello Barbara,
Not sure about the books.

2) What other island has gardens to photograph and the volcano that people capture at sunrise?

The Big Island!

3) Should we hire a guide or are there printed guides that give enough good info on when/where to photograph?

I think there are plenty of guides, but if you can be more specific, perhaps we can help you here.

We plan to go a few days early, so we want to do something besides what is on Maui.

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance!

The whales should be arriving, in case they interest you.

Roger

Barbara Kile
12-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Well, I can't tell you too much more at this time, but we will fly into the main island, spend a couple of days there, then go on to Maui. The time frame is mid Feb. On my agenda: gardens, whales (if they are around) and the volcano. I don't know exactly where we will be staying as yet, although I have our hotel for Maui. If we can find the places on our own, that will be fine - but I'm open to paying a guide too. Thanks!

Roger Clark
12-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Barbara,
Where are you staying on Maui (location, not specific hotel)? From there I can perhaps give some advice. A good map and guidebook should direct you to many places. And how long will you be on Maui?

By the "main island" I assume you mean Oahu. I lived to 7 years on Oahu, working on both Oahu and the Big Island. What location will you be staying on Oahu, and what objectives?

One other question: are you interested in hiking, and if so how far and/or difficult?

Roger

Barbara Kile
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Sent you a PM

Vivek Khanzode
01-27-2010, 09:11 AM
Folks

I am interested in this as well. I am planning on a trip to Maui in late March. Any pointer for good locations for bird photography would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

-- Vivek