PDA

View Full Version : Harrier fly-by...

John Blumenkamp
11-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Captured this frosty male harrier early yesterday morning out at Farmington Bay WMA, northern Utah... this is cropped top and right - wish I had more room along the bottom but that was the limit of the frame as shown.

7D @ 700mm
1/1600 f/5.6 iso500

C&C appreciated.

Thanks for looking,
John

David Hemmings
11-27-2009, 04:31 PM
John, I love this shot, the habitat makes it for me and the look is great!

Keith Bauer
11-27-2009, 05:05 PM
John:

I really like this image. Great habitat. You said you wish there was a bit more room at the bottom. I worked this using CS4 and adding a bit of canvas on the bottom using Content Aware Scaling. (Sorry about distorting your signature, just didn't take the time to grab it from your original). Here's the image with a bit more room. See what you think.

Norm Dulak
11-27-2009, 05:27 PM
To my eye the original posting is terrific! I would change nothing.

I don't feel that the added space at the bottom of the re-post is helpful, and I think that the re-post may also be a bit oversaturated.:)

Norm

Joel Eade
11-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I like the original best, nice detail and color. For me the crops works. The head of the bird doesn't look nearly as good in the repost and the extra canvas doesn't add to the overall image IMHO.

John Blumenkamp
11-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for taking the time to play with the canvas extention Keith... I'm using LR & CS3, and haven't seen what Content Aware Scaling is about firsthand - looks like a cool tool. I think looking at the original image with the extra space top and right made me want to see the canvas below, but without it I cropped as presented. Using the scaling method in CS4 with the uncropped original and balancing the added canvas with the room top/right would be intersting to play with.. :)

Thanks for the comments... I'm always curious if some crops made due to limited space on one side make things appear too tight, etc.

Doug Brown
11-27-2009, 06:33 PM
A little snug in the frame. Keith did a nice job adding canvas with his patented trick. Love the habitat, wing position, and eye contact. I would sharpen the head a little more.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-28-2009, 02:42 AM
It appears the AF sensor was on the wing and your DOF just missed the head? Maybe some selective sharpening there would help. Love the light and habitat inclusion. Congrats! :)

arash_hazeghi
11-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Love the wing position, HA and eye contact, repost with more room in bottom is an improvement. Well done

Ofer Levy
11-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Fantastic image!!! I like the added canvas in the repost but feel the colours in the original are more natural.
Would sharpen a bit more as head looks slightly soft to me.

David Fletcher
11-28-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok. going with this from a late POV, like the added canvas although I use CS4, not always convinced content awareness is the easiest or best answer. Not a critique.! Focus is on wing and as web presentation, some sharpening on head will fix that. Colors on OP better, but contrast not. (reposting increasing contrast more, so maybe when we repost we should knock contrast down -2-3...dunno. done it enough....). On canvas, compositionally, feel more room needed in front. Good one John. this is what I saw. added canvas manually bottom and left and cloned in myself. So much easier with full size image, but only showing potential. Did a few other things.

Mike Veltri
11-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I like the image as is and may crop a bit of the right side closest to the tail. I agree that the re-edit looks a bit over saturated on my monitor.

John Blumenkamp
11-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions everyone... really do appreciate you taking the time to show variations and ideas. :)

James Salywoda
11-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Awesome shot John the habitat and excellent eye contact make it for me another beauty good job.